Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #201
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehasane View Post
1 accessible lean-to + up to 5 campsites are planned for BP.
That's not so bad.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #202
Bounder45

Quote:
1 accessible lean-to + up to 5 campsites are planned for BP.

I would need at least 2 days to paddle the perimeter of Lila + Shingle Shanty + Beaver River. I can do the perimeter of Boreas + paddle up the inlet in half a day - Lila has way more paddling opportunities including carries to other waterbodies. 0.3 mile carry to Lila is about as much effort as 1 mile on a dirt road to Boreas. The only thing Boreas has over Lila is the High Peaks view. Lila has many nice campsites, Boreas will have lousy campsites like Essex Chain & Henderson Lake so after the 1st couple of years there will be fewer campers. Gulf Brook Rd will have some car-camping sites, that's why some folks are comparing it with Cedar River Flow/Moose River Plains.
Again, nitpicking and exaggerations.

Talking about Lila itself, not adjacent water bodies, you can paddle all of that in about 1 day. The size of Lake Lila is comparable to what you get at Boreas. The time it will take to access fishing spots or land for a day hike will be about the same between the two.

The portage to Lila (is it .3 miles?) is easy. I see paddlers taking carts in or carrying their stuff all the time. How long will the portage to Boreas be? They're not letting people drive right up to the water are they?

"Boreas will have lousy campsites." How the heck do you know that? Has the DEC even announced where, if any, water-side campsites will be set up?

Road-side camping...along the road (hence why it's called road-side), not on the water.

I don't know why so many on here are determined to see the glass as half empty on this issue, especially considering that the water hasn't even been poured yet. You would think that based on the way some people complain on this forum that the ADK's is on the verge of becoming a hazardous waste zone...

Edit: And by the way, if you think the campsites at Essex Chain of Lakes are "lousy," that suits me just fine. Please continue thinking that and spreading that gouge so that I can continue to enjoy them by myself.
Bounder45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #203
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Yeah, you're probably right. I hope you are. The size though -- from what I can see, "Boreas Ponds, the namesake of the tract, form a 320-acre body of water" whereas Lake Lila is 1446 acres. That's a considerable difference.
Where are you getting that info from?

I know that Lila is bigger, but looking at both of them on scaled maps, they don't seem all that different. Lake Lila itself is easily a day-paddle trip, as is Boreas.
Bounder45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #204
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Where are you getting that info from?

I know that Lila is bigger, but looking at both of them on scaled maps, they don't seem all that different. Lake Lila itself is easily a day-paddle trip, as is Boreas.
Second paragraph here:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/107504.html

And here: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/76408.html

Could it be a typo? I've been to both in the last year or two and Lila just seemed way bigger to me. I haven't checked them on a topo map, but will.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #205
Nehasane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post

Talking about Lila itself, not adjacent water bodies, you can paddle all of that in about 1 day. The size of Lake Lila is comparable to what you get at Boreas. The time it will take to access fishing spots or land for a day hike will be about the same between the two.

The portage to Lila (is it .3 miles?) is easy. I see paddlers taking carts in or carrying their stuff all the time. How long will the portage to Boreas be? They're not letting people drive right up to the water are they?

"Boreas will have lousy campsites." How the heck do you know that? Has the DEC even announced where, if any, water-side campsites will be set up?

As others have noted, Lila is over 4 times the size of BP.

Judging about your questions it sounds like you have not actually read the draft UMP.

On my 2nd visit to BP I scoured the shoreline for a nice campsite but pretty much all of it is sprucey, I had difficulty finding a nice lunch spot let alone a nice campsite. It was a tough & scratchy bushwhack just to go pee 150' away from the water! I did, however, camp there that night. Please tell us about your experiences there.

Yes the DEC has announced approximate campsite locations - the map is on page 115.
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:46 PM   #206
baisleytom

"Boreas will have lousy campsites like Essex Chain & Henderson Lake "
I would tend to agree based on the new campsites and relocated leanto sites I have seen
baisleytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:53 PM   #207

Quote:
As others have noted, Lila is over 4 times the size of BP.

Judging about your questions it sounds like you have not actually read the draft UMP.

On my 2nd visit to BP I scoured the shoreline for a nice campsite but pretty much all of it is sprucey, I had difficulty finding a nice lunch spot let alone a nice campsite. It was a tough & scratchy bushwhack just to go pee 150' away from the water! I did, however, camp there that night. Please tell us about your experiences there.

Yes the DEC has announced approximate campsite locations - the map is on page 115.
I camped 2 nights on Boreas in 2016. Carted boats in from main road. Was tough to find a place to camp, took at least an hour of scouring before we found a decent spot. Not much for easy shore access, and woods are choked with deadfall. We did carve out a great spot far enough back, then pushed everything back in when we left. You would not know we had been there unless you knew how to look.

Best lunch spot was on a rock in the nw arm. Nice place to swim but only from rock. Really no shoreline access anywhere but the dam and the site of the former lodge dock.

Will be interesting where they elect to put sites. The nights were incredible concert of loon calls, and the views are exceptional. Fun place to explore and I look forward to getting back.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote