Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
l33tHoneyBadger

Canoe Buying Advice

My father is about to retire in a few months and as a gift I am thinking of getting him a real canoe. Currently he has one that a summer camp sold off when they got new ones and it is fiberglass and made for just the basics. He really wants a wood based canoe and has been looking all over at them. Essentially the criteria would be this: he is about 225 or a bit more in weight, 6' tall, we use it for day trips with my son and a weekend or two camping. I want something that tracks well and is easy to manuever. We don't port the boats much on trips so weight isn't too big a deal. I have a Catch 120 kayak and it is a bit too unstable for him so he is sticking with the canoe. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Either what is the best for him or at least what ones to stay away from. I want him to have the best experience possible because he loves it and he would never go out and buy one for himself. Not new anyway. Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Tupper Lake Triad: #23 WSD & #405 SSD
Saranac 6er: 3/6

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uphillbothways/
l33tHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Wldrns

I see you are from Carthage and you are looking for a wood canoe. I'm sure you will get advice on how easy it is to build your own. However if that is not in your plans, A short distance away from you near Lowville, is Pat Brown's boatworks. Pat has been making woodstrip canoes and guideboats and even an occasional voyageur canoe for more than 40 years. His prices are more than reasonable, far lower than others of similar build, and he makes a solid long lasting product. Several of his boats over the years have been winners on the 90-mile Adirondack canoe race. I have a canoe, guideboat and a voyageur from Pat, all many years old an still in great shape. He can be found in the Lowville phone book (315) 376-5935 (technically he is in the town of Glenfield, located at Upper Chase Lake). Take a trial spin on the small lake near his shop. He will spend the entire day with you talking canoes if you let him. (tell him a Yukon paddler sent you)

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/a...RR04/310239918

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-19-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Buckladd

This might not be what you're interested in but it's a beautiful wood-canvas boat, is buoyant, and I still have it stored under cover. I don't know the weight, but it is heavy, but doable by two guys. If you are in the Lake George area and want to test paddle it, let me know. http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=19950

You may want to also want attend Paddlefest in Old Forge in May. http://www.mountainmanoutdoors.com/a...addlefest.html
Old 04-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
mgc

If you are looking for a wood and canvas canoe (good choice) try looking at the WCHA classifieds....
http://www.wcha.org/classifieds
Also read the post about how to value W/C canoes...most folks get a bit crazy with their prices.
Some of the WCHA canoes are fairly priced...you should be able to buy a usable canoe for $1,500 or less. Canoes that are collectable might command a higher price if they are restored but there are not too many that are worth what it costs to build a new one. My Rushton's and Morris are scarce canoes but not worth more than $2,500 and then only to the right person. A new copy would run $4K plus.
Restoration is not cheap even when you do it yourself. Paying someone else to restore one can run into some serious cash if it's in rough shape.
Folks that know these boats don't try to make much money off of them...it's not typically possible. Covering costs and making a few hundred dollars is about par for the course.
You should also check the Finger Lakes Craigslist...Howie restores and sells a few canoes every year. He does nice work and sells at about the right price. He has a Langford for sale right now...restored https://fingerlakes.craigslist.org/b...558034528.html
You might beat him down a bit but I think he's about right for a restored Canadian canoe...they tend to run a bit less than the ones built in the states
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
That article is crazy. The earthquake non-sequitur came out of left field, didn't it? I wish there were more pictures of his boat though!
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
That article is crazy. The earthquake non-sequitur came out of left field, didn't it? I wish there were more pictures of his boat though!
Pat does indeed travel to Chile a couple of times a year, to visit an old exchange student school friend, helping to harvest kiwi and cherries. He was there during the major earthquake a couple of years ago.

You asked for it... Here are a few photos of Pat's 32' voyageur canoe and his guideboat during the Adirondack 90-mile race one year. Photos were extracted from a video slide show of the event, so some are not of the best quality. Unfortunately I do not have any good pics of his C2 canoes. The voyaguer was made from two C2 canoes butted, overlapped end to end.

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-20-2018 at 06:42 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
l33tHoneyBadger

Thank you all for the replies and advice. Work has been very busy and then vacation and such so it has taken me a bit to get back here. I will take everything into consideration and see what is going to best fit his needs. He is recovering from knee surgery right now so we have some time to figure things out before he is in shape to go paddling. Thank you again for all your help! On a side note I wish that paddle and camp weekend was one weekend earlier or later every year. It hits the same weekend as Rock on the Range which is my yearly guys road trip.
Tupper Lake Triad: #23 WSD & #405 SSD
Saranac 6er: 3/6

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uphillbothways/
l33tHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #8
Tug Hill

X2 about Pat Brown, great friendly guy. I met him years ago through a mutual friend and sold him clear White Pine logs that he had sawed into plancking for his guide boats.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote