Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
adkeditor

Rafting guide arrested in drowning

State Police say a guide for Hudson River Rafting Co. was intoxicated when his client drowned in the Indian River yesterday morning.

Click here to read story and news release.

Last edited by adkeditor; 09-28-2012 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: fixed link
adkeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
yellowcanoe

Looks like that company gets less than stellar ratings per Trip Advisor. Not that those may be entirely accurate but with that many poor experiences..

hmmm I hear echoes.

http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=15530
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Charming. Drunk rafting guide.

Hang 'em high.

WAIT a min-u-ete! I am the only one who gets to say "one more time"!
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Rusty and the Maniac

Wow... Thats horrible!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
namaycush

Here's the June 2011 Adirondack Life story on Hudson River Rafting Company's operation on the Hudson (the Black and Moose River guides by all accounts run a safe boat). A lot of fellow guides went on the record with criticism of a risky company culture. http://www.adirondacklifemag.com/blo...isky-business/
namaycush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaycush View Post
Here's the June 2011 Adirondack Life story on Hudson River Rafting Company's operation on the Hudson (the Black and Moose River guides by all accounts run a safe boat). A lot of fellow guides went on the record with criticism of a risky company culture. http://www.adirondacklifemag.com/blo...isky-business/
On two different occasions this past summer I happened to run into former HRR guides who left the company because of what they perceived as poor and dangerous business practices. Both had similar stories and warned me to avoid that company if I ever wanted to take a rafting trip.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Looks like that company gets less than stellar ratings per Trip Advisor.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._New_York.html

Quote:
***** was drunk as a skunk. He couldn't even count how many people were in our group. He yelled at me and called me names for questioning him.
Wow...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Shame on someone (or anyone) for getting into a raft (would they also get into a car with someone so drunk they couldn't walk) with someone that drunk!!!
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Shame on someone (or anyone) for getting into a raft (would they also get into a car with someone so drunk they couldn't walk) with someone that drunk!!!
Earlier this past season I took my son and 3 grandkids on a short Ausable Chasm raft trip, which included a couple of small rapids, enough to get us wet and to excite the kids. Our guide had to do some maneuvering to put us in the right current next to a rock into the rapids, which included a purposeful 360 rotation within the splashing rapids, just to let everyone get wet on that hot day, I'm sure. As obviously easy as that would be for a skilled guide, i wouldn't want someone less capable doing that maneuver with us in the raft.

I don't know how HRR does it, but the entry process in our case was to wait in line for our raft to arrive, then proceed to the holding area to get PFDs fitted by a helper, then descend steps to get into our raft where we met our guide. We had maybe 5 seconds to evaluate our guide before we shoved off, not that we could have done anything about it at the time. He turned out to be a very nice friendly guy and obviously very capable guiding the raft for the best effects, but we could not have known that before shoving off. He told us stories and interesting facts about the chasm. I asked him about licensing and his previous experience. He told us about his previous employment at HRR, which he left due to being uncomfortable with the practices there. I left him a nice tip at the end of the trip.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Gman

Holy cow.....Those Trip Advisor reviews make the Deliverence float seem like a Venice gondola ride. How weird would it be to have your guide step out of the raft and disappear into the woods.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Rusty and the Maniac

From what iíve heard, there were only 3 boats on the river that day and Patís boat was the last boat and alone. Apparently the guy was a 1st year guide, taking a solo boat? This is not a good idea, nobody is an expert in their 1st year, but lots of people think they are! Unfortunately, not too many experienced guides will work for Pat. Iím also curious to hear more about what happened to get a couple people off the raft, musta been down towards the bottom of the indian taking something sideways, prob hitting a rock in a fast spot. The gorge is wilderness and i think most companies and guides respect that they are out there pretty much on their own and are they act responsibly. Hopefully this tragedy doesnít negatively impact all the great people who do a great job running a great local industry! Oh, and hats off to the guys who worked on the rescue! Wish there was a different outcome, thinking about that 5 miles gives me chillsÖ
Old 10-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Rainman

How can these clowns stay in business with reviews like those???
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
How can these clowns stay in business with reviews like those???
Consumer ignorance
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
namaycush

One affidavit from a trip this summer: http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...ck+Almanack%29
namaycush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
yellowcanoe

Follow up

http://www.adirondackjournal.com/new...-company-oper/
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote