Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
reza

elders grove

Hi--
Thinking about making a trip in to elder's grove sometime soon. I tried to get there once, but got cold/lost in the winter and turned around. I tried heading in from Brighton, following the trail to the power line to the property line, then hit a road and didn't know which way to go. Can anyone help with directions.
Thanks
reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Elders Grove is actually on Paul Smith's College Property, and as such, there really isn't a marked trail. There's also some logging roads and whatnot in the area, which can make finding the old growth stand a bit difficult.

I haven't been there since I graduated from PSC, but we did visit the grove several times for our forestry and silviculture courses. I seem to recall that once you hit the power line, you needed to turn left and follow it for a little bit, maybe no more than a quarter of a mile, before turning right and heading into the woods again. I remember there being a path. The grove wasn't too far from the power line.

Another possibility would be to park where the Jack Rabbit Trail crosses Route 86, hike south on the trail to the power line, then turn left (west) and follow the power line to the same spot.

Elders Grove is the thicker looking stand of trees on the south side of the power line, centered in this link to the satellite image on Google Maps.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
reza

Thanks for that help. Last time we tried to find it, we did take a left at the power line, then took a right, following a blue marked property line for a bit. We found a few huge trees, but we definitely weren't in the grove. Any other help from others would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by reza View Post
Thanks for that help. Last time we tried to find it, we did take a left at the power line, then took a right, following a blue marked property line for a bit. We found a few huge trees, but we definitely weren't in the grove. Any other help from others would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If memory serves correctly, the majority of old growth is east of the property line.

It's really not that big of a stand either. The only reason it escaped harvest is because the stand was downhill from the road, and it wasn't financially profitable to harvest and pull the logs uphill.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #5
reza

Thanks for the help! You were right, the stand is east of the property line by probably about an eighth to a quarter of a mile. We ended up finding it by leaving the power line and wandering in the woods, looking for huge trees. After ten or fifteen minutes, we were there. We took a group of my HS students, then made them "orienteer" themselves back to a specific spot on route 30 with a map/compass. they missed by a few hundred yards, but were pretty close to where my colleague (who stayed with them to make sure they didn't get lost) and I told them to go. It is a really neat little spot there----DSett, if you would like some very specific directions, I can give them now. Once we found it, walking out and giving simple directions is easy. Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
DSett, if you would like some very specific directions, I can give them now. Once we found it, walking out and giving simple directions is easy. Thanks again.
That's alright, I'm sure I can find it again on my own. We went there numerous times for our forestry labs. Other people might benefit from your directions though, so feel free to post them!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Vermont Scott

Quote:
DSett, if you would like some very specific directions, I can give them now. Once we found it, walking out and giving simple directions is easy. Thanks again.
I'd love some directions-I've always wanted to get back in there with my camera gear and see what I can come up with.

Scott
Old 05-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
reza

Ok---here are the best directions I can give: Park at the pulloff just before you hit the 40 MPH limit entering Brighton (this is if you are heading from Saranac Lake towards Paul Smiths...). walk past the gate and follow the logging road South to the Power Line. Turn left once you hit the power line and eventually the worn trail will turn directly (which is to your right/south) into the woods at about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile. Be careful as there are a couple deer paths and a well marked logging line----these are not where you want to go. The worn path on the power line pretty much goes straight into the woods and feels like an ATV trail. Stay on this trail as long as it seems as though it is heading straight into the woods. The trail eventually loops back to the power line, so once you feel as though you are moving parallel to the power line, you have stayed on the trail for too long. I would say you should stay on the ATV trail for no more than 100-150 yards. Eventually, you have to go due south and downhill towards the tall trees. If the leaves are out, you will see them within three or four minutes. If you are walking south/downhill for more than ten or fifteen minutes, you've gone too far. If you knew exactly where you were going, I would say its about five minutes from the ATV trail to the grove. You will know you are there 3 ways: 1. Trees are huge---at least 20 foot circumference 2. One of them kind of looks like a dr. seuss tree---a huge burl like turn right at the base and 3. they are tagged, so my point is that once you are there, you will know. One other point of advice, if you leave the ATV trail and see orange tape wrapped around the trees, you can follow that for a five to ten minutes but eventually will have to head west towards the grove. If you need any further help, let me know.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
namaycush

1675 Grove history and directions

Here are directions and more information: http://www.adirondacklifemag.com/blo...-tallest-tree/
namaycush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
namaycush

Official name: 1675 Grove

By request of Michael Kudish, the stand should be called the 1675 Grove, for the year that it was probably established. Dr. Kudish is the one who brought attention to the grove and determined its age.

Here's an AdirondackLife.com post about Dr. Kudish's current work to identify first-growth forest: http://www.adirondacklifemag.com/blo...first-forests/
namaycush is offline   Reply With Quote