Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #21
pato frenzzy
pato frenzzy

well you should go again it is still fun
Old 06-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #22
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I think I just may have to. I am tentatively planning to go this summer.
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:00 PM   #23
pato frenzzy
pato frenzzy

go go go and dont forget to go it is a great place!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #24
Campsite_sixty

My all time favorite one is campsite 60,, cause there' this huge rock on land, then another huge rock in the water somewhere near the dock that you can stand on when you go swimming,

Honestly, Forked Lake is a really beautiful campsite. And any place you pick will be a wonderful choice.
Campsite_sixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #25
pato frenzzy
pato frenzzy

omg i cant stop laughing!!!! hey i'v been there.
but dont forget you can go to lower sargents pond out near there and then grass pond!!! oooooo. and castle rock, goodnow mt. (its better later lol) and buttermilk falls!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 PM   #26
pato frenzzy
pato frenzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campsite_sixty View Post
My all time favorite one is campsite 60,, cause there' this huge rock on land, then another huge rock in the water somewhere near the dock that you can stand on when you go swimming,

Honestly, Forked Lake is a really beautiful campsite. And any place you pick will be a wonderful choice.
oh just so yall know thats the only one this person has stayed at. but honestly they are all great and deserve a stay in. ya know what i might just do that instead of a 46r i will be a forked laked-r and stay at each one!!!!!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #27
Dflanagan841

Good Forked Lake sites

Here's my takes on sites at Forked--been going there since '93 or so. Headed back in a few weeks, again in August, and normally go up there early spring and late fall, too.

Sites 3, 4, & 5 are right across from the beach where you load into the lake. I think 1 and 2 are over by the bridge. 3, 4, and 5 are OK, not terrible level. 6 is a little better. 7 is one of the best sites on the lake, a biiiig site, three fire pits, three tables, two outhouses. It used to be one big site for girl scouts so I've been told.

8 is GREAT swimming, although this site can get a little wet and is often closed early in the season because of it. The ground can stay "spongy" on this site for a while after a long rain.

9 is OK, lots of roots. 10 is good, it has a deceptively large area out front for a big tent. 11 & 12 are both good, bigger open sites. 13 is really nice, up on a peninsula overlooking the lake. Tough in the wind though. 14 is OK, good swimming. 15 I've never been on. 16 is neat if you don't mind dragging stuff up a bit of a hill from your canoe.

17-28 I've never been on, but a lot of these appear to be smaller and grassy. 29 is a nice site, big and open. 29-34 are just OK as far as I know. Lots of people seem to like 35 (I think it is 35) it is the last site accessible by foot trail, although msot people I know simply canoe to the sites. 35 is biiiig and is good swimming.

36 is cool, up on a nice rock ledge. 37-39 are OK, somewhat small. 40-43 are really nice, on big rock faces that lead right down to the water. 44 is OK, lots of roots. 45 is pretty rough.

46-50 (I think) are beyond the two islands. Never been on those but some look nice. Big island sites are I think 52 and 53? The bigger site (facing the beach where you load in) is better, not so much wind. The site on the far side of this island is OK but again pretty rough in those later afternoons winds on Forked. The small island has one site--nice, good swimming, but lots of roots--bring lots of ropes and/or bungees to secure your tent!

Other sites beyond the island a=on the far side of the camp area are, I think, 55-64 or so. The site numbers "loop back" towards the main beach, I think starting with 63?

Some last minute guests just got here--will post more soon!
Dflanagan841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #28
birchasr

My wife and I just got back from our first trip to Forked lake. We had a blast! We stayed on site 69. The site was nice, our only complaint would be that it was tough unloading and loading without a dock. Site 69A was really nice. Very private with a dock. The site look large too. Site 63 also looked nice too when we canoed past. We look forward to going there again in the future!
birchasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #29
Dflanagan841

Yup 69 is good, but 69A is a bit bigger, yes. Mention the dock stuff to the rangers, and be sure to fill out a few of the green "comment cards" (and mail them!) offered at the ranger station. Specifically mention that more docks would be good! I've been told that the comment cards get some attention when $$$ are being forked out (ha ha) for improvements/maintenance.

OK picking up where I left off, the "left" side of the lake for sites--from farthest out that I know of. ALL these sites get decent afternoon sun but if you're a fan of early morning sun you might want to stick to the other side. That being said some of these sights are the best for some famous Forked sunsets.

Waaaay out there is a lean-to site, not part of the campground really but a state site--free to stay, I don't think these sites can be specifically "reserved" ever (there is another nice one just off the road into Forked--a yellow guard rail and a "portage" sign point to the trail).

I'm not sure of the exact site number sequence, but that farthest site out on that side I've stayed at is 66--a cool little site with a "double decker" set up and plenty of room.
68--dunno, but I think it is small. 69A, as noted, one of the bigger sites on the island and somewhat protected by a small cove. 69--birchasr sez is OK! 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75--I think the majority of these sites are a "last resort"--they are all small and seem to retain a lot of runoff water even into June/July. If I had to choose between going home and one of these sites I would certainly take one of them, but they're not the greatest.

Site 75--I was just on it last week with my wife and kids. One of the best beach sites on the lake, really good swimming, and a decent sized site. Minor drawback is that I've spent a day or so cleaning the sand out of all the gear!

And that's the last site on the left side as you paddle out to the sites. Of course you can also hike in to a lot of the sites, too.

I'll be back up there on site 7 in August.

For a kick, head into Long Lake and take a sea plane ride. Ask the pilot to take you over Forked, tell him/her which site you're on. Don't forget your camera or video camera! I hope to shoot some high-def stuff (HDV) from the skies this next trip.

I love this lake and thoughts of an August sunset keep me going through some harsh CNY winters.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #30
Galapigos
Love those 'racks

Can't decde which campsite to reserve!

I'm going up to forked lake this coming week and there is limited camping spots avail. I'm up for a nice private site, with a good view, etc... that isn't a trek to get to (i.e. not a 2 hour commute by canoe). The availbe sites are (68-- which I'm leaning towards, 65-- stayed here before but remember the site being damp because of the stream... #18, 53, 49 & 48.)

Out of those I am leaning towards (68, 53, and 18) thoughts? experiences?

Thanks!
Galapigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #31
Dflanagan841

I'd stick with 68--relatively short paddle. Never been on the other sites--behind the island. a bit of a paddle! I'm lazy & bring a small trolling motor.

68 should also give you some decent sunset viewing.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #32
Starshadow
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galapigos View Post
I'm going up to forked lake this coming week and there is limited camping spots avail. I'm up for a nice private site, with a good view, etc... that isn't a trek to get to (i.e. not a 2 hour commute by canoe). The availbe sites are (68-- which I'm leaning towards, 65-- stayed here before but remember the site being damp because of the stream... #18, 53, 49 & 48.)

Out of those I am leaning towards (68, 53, and 18) thoughts? experiences?

Thanks!

Not sure of the other ones but have stayed at 18. It is seldom used, a little rocky, no special view, can be wet, unsure how much rain there has been there recently. On the good side it is set back in a bit, is private. I was there when they had a dock at the site, the last time I did not see one there.
Starshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #33
Zadra

Forked Lake after Campground closes?

Is it OK to camp at Forked Lake after the campground closes? I was thinking of taking my son there, late September, early Fall.
Zadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #34
Bill I.

A friend of mine asked DEC that same question. The official response:

"Legal? Well, sometimes. The 90milers (Sept 7-9 2007) sometimes use the campground; the ranger lets them stay. Otherwise, any of the backcountry sites on the lake are available."
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #35
jkowal

Forked Lake late September.
I am also planning on heading to forked lake for some camping on the 23rd. I spoke with the gentle man at the reg office on the east side and he told me they close on the 3rd and the sites can not be camped on after that. He mentioned some free sites on the west side. My wife is concerned about a place to go to the bathroom, so called him back and he hung up on me. "Turd'
Might anyone know some information on these free sites on the west side of the lake especially if they have a outhouse or something? Maybe i will see you (Zadra) there. Oh and Wild river, what do you ask for when you call the DEC... do the campsites close early for hunting or something? should bring my orange? Are the bears aggresive or mating?
jkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:38 PM   #36
Bill I.

The "free" sites at the west end of the lake are wilderness-style sites, though I can't recall if they have privies off the top of my head.

Many of the developed state campgrounds close after Labor Day because that's when the summer tourist season ends. A few of the more popular ones remain open through Columbus Day. The schedule is available at www.dec-campgrounds.com.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #37
Dflanagan841

Legally of course I cannot speak from experience but I do know of a few folks who have managed to camp at Forked post-season, even into late October.

The signs are all down, the bouys are usually pulled up, and the docks are all out (lashed together and tucked behind the small island). But those folks report some crisp, cool nights, great leaf peeping, and a pretty peaceful experience.

So I've heard, of course.

Was just up on site 43 last weekend--decent site. Good "old fashioned" fire place, not the cruddy newer fire rings.

My sources say they might return there in mid to late October.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #38
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
A friend of mine asked DEC that same question. The official response:

"Legal? Well, sometimes. The 90milers (Sept 7-9 2007) sometimes use the campground; the ranger lets them stay. Otherwise, any of the backcountry sites on the lake are available."
Note, the 90 mile canoe race hasn't used that route in several (at least 5) years. The current course avoids the often p.m. choppy waters of north Raquette Lake, and the FL campground was far too small for 250 boats. The course goes now up the Marion River and ends at Blue Mtn Lake. The campground for that night is the much roomier Lake Eaton. So feel free to travel Forked Lake during that time, but stay out of the Marion!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #39
pato frenzzy
pato frenzzy

hey Dflanagan841 i envy u cause u get to be up there for a bit of time unlike me so keep up the good work at forked lake
Old 09-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #40
Dflanagan841

Heck yeah--October awaits. One more trip maybe before the snow flies.

Hey all for a hoot check out http://www.dryday.com

they claim to be able to forecast "dry days" a year out! Free for a month view, costs you for full year. Might start using it for fun.

When I make my reservations for next summer in the bitter cold of November I might use it. Doubt it'll work but you never know.