Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

Rainy Day Hikes Suggestions

I'm headed up for some car camping at the Loj this Wednesday thru Friday. Thanks to the hurricane it doesn't look like the weather will be all that great, but I don't have the option of waiting for nice weather to be able to come. I was hoping to do Cascade, but everyone says save that for a beautiful day. So if it's going to be raining what are some good hikes you guys can recomend? Keep in mind it will be my wife and I plus our two kids, ages 5 and 2. The 2 y/o sometimes walk, but mostly I have the pleasure of backpacking him. It doesn't have to be a mountain, just something that would be fun and rewarding for the kids that's around 5 miles. What's the quickest way, mileage wise, into Duck Hole? I was considering that, but am open to anything. Here's hoping for a change in the weather, it's still a few days away.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
jellen

scotts clearing

You could do a nice flat hike toward Scotts clearing (might also be called Scotts pond). You pick up the trail the same way you would head toward Mt. Jo - to the right side of the beach area near the LOJ. It's a nice leisurely hike of several miles and comes to the remains of an old dam. There's a lean-to part of the way there - a good lunch spot for a rainy day hike.

Marcy Dam is always a short sweet hike that's not too taxing on the body. I've never done it from South Meadow but that looks like an interesting hike too.

You can also meander around Heart Lake itself. It's about a 15 - 20 minute jaunt. Never knew the trail was there until last year!

Also - Mt. Jo is a possibility though it's not 5 miles.

Have fun, be safe.
jellen is offline   Reply With Quote