Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
richard p

Otters

Hello everyone. Will up near the SRCA in early August (Rollins Pond). My daughter has fallen in love with otters (yes we have been to the Wild Center)and so we were hoping we would be able to spot some. Doing a search I see that the end of Little Tupper/Rock seems to be a good place. Any other areas recommended? Will they let up approach or are they shy like beavers? Also, what would be the best time of day to increase our chances? Thanks very much.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:06 AM   #2
rickhart

I saw a family of them on Rock Pond last summer, but they're all over really. I've also seen them on the Round Pond Outlet and Cranberry Lake. But the south end of Little Tupper & Rock Pond is a beautiful area anyway. Lots of loons, eagles, owls. If you see otters it's best not to try to approach but just watch; if they get spooked they can dive & swim away underwater. They can stay under a loooooong time. They're most active in early morning and late afternoon/evening.
It's pretty much luck. You can go on a few trips and not see them, then see them a couple of times in a row.
If you stay in the SRCA (another beautiful area), you might have better luck in the northern half, like Long Pond, or even better St Regis -- slightly less busy.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #3
Rich Lockwood

otters

One of my most treasured paddling memories happened on the flow on the north side of rainbow lake. Coming around a curve I saw 3 small round objects in the water in shoreline brush. The were making a cheeping noise. I assumed they were baby water birds until the raised themselves out of the water reveling them to be otters! I never knew otters made a sound.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

We watched 3 otters in a bay off of LTL once for 20 or 30 minutes. They were like synchronized swimmers, popping up and spinning like some olympic team!
They were making grunting noises the whole time.

Also watched 3 or 4 of the little guys in that unnamed pond off of Pink (off of Long Pond). They were floating on their backs and casually breaking open mussels that were on their bellies. They would crack open a mussel, lazily reach over their heads to rinse them off, and gobble them up. We watched this group for nearly an hour, until they finished their meals and dove under.
Also have seen them on Rock Pond (off of Rollins). It seems they have a lot of free time, must be very efficient hunters.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Banoe

About 4-5 years ago there was a momma and two baby Otters on the Raquette River Lakes near South Colton. My brother and I saw them several time when fishing in the mornings. The young Otters would come closer out of curiosity than the mother she would stay away and bark at them.
Banoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
Will Canoe
All Season Explorer

I've been to the Raquette R. below Piercefield and always see otters. Early evening is good.
Will Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote