Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

My new canoe trailer

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the biking forum. I figured that probably more paddlers might someday be looking for a way to carry their boats somewhere with a bike than bicyclists might be interested in dragging a canoe all over Robin Hood's barn, so I put it here. I finally got this trailer put together Saturday and took it for an inaugural trip yesterday up to Lakeview WMA, about 18 miles away. I meant to get it done earlier but I'll still have time for one or two more shakedown trips before heading to Indian Lake in late August. I have also included a picture of my old trailer from last year. The new frame is all 3/16" 6061 aluminum angle and the wheels are 700c, the same as my bike, so I can use the folding tire and spare inner tubes for both. It's heavier than the old one but it rolls more smoothly with the bigger wheels (and better bearings) and goes over bumps better. I kept the front part of the tongue of the old trailer and Seattle Sports was kind enough to sell me a spare hitch swivel for $15 so that I can carry it with me in case the old one should break. The tongue on the new one has 1/8" thick walls which will be stronger than the super-lightweight tongue that that dog broke when it got run over by the trailer. I used two pieces of 3/4" x 2" aluminum bar to connect the tongue to the frame and I found that it is possible to drill a 1" hole through 6061 with a spade bit. I put it in the drill press at 200 RPM and it worked pretty well, much to my surprise.
Zach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7180016.jpg (74.4 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg P7180014.jpg (64.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg P8270213.jpg (78.8 KB, 183 views)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #2
1bluefin

Canoe trailer

Pretty cool Zach have wheels will paddle. Happy trails.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:20 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Very cool!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Too cool, Zach! I've been thinking of building a similar cart to wheel into Santanoni (Newcomb Lake) and other bikeable waters.
That tongue, did you make those bends?
And how did you assemble the frame, mechanical fasteners? Or did you weld it together?
Old 07-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #5
bmike-vt

Very nice work! And nice boat too!
bmike-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:40 PM   #6
Zach

Thank you all very much. Stripperguy, I wish I knew how to weld but it is another thing I have not learned yet. I used 1/4" bolts and nylock nuts that I had around. The front 3 feet or so of the tongue is from the original trailer. I bent the pipe on the back that wraps around the canoe, using an old conduit bender that I got for $2 at an auction some years back. Seattle Sports sells the whole tongue setup with the hitch to convert one of their carts into a trailer like the one I had, but they charge $120 for it so it might not be worth it for only occasional use. The way the tongue is bent makes it work very well. I can only turn a certain amount to the right, but I can turn past 90 degrees to the left so if I want to turn around in the road I can do that provided there's no traffic at the time.
Zach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7190017.jpg (74.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg P7190018.jpg (58.5 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg P7190019.jpg (76.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg P7190020.jpg (75.1 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg P7190021.jpg (55.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 07-26-2016, 12:08 AM   #7
chaser
pond jockey

That's good stuff Zach, as a non welder I appreciate your ingenuity. Nice looking set up. For what it's worth, I like your canoe and shop even better!!! But, you know, that whole 10th commandment thing says to just shut up. Nice wheels!!!
Old 07-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
webby459

That's an awesome boat too!
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #9
JerseyHighlander

Very cool. I don't know what's more impressive, the trailer you built or the fact that you pull a canoe around through those hills on a bicycle.

Just watch out for galvanic corrosion between that aluminum and those steel bolts. You can get nylon washers and inserts to reduce contact and hold it off as much as possible.
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
Zach

Thank you all very much. The canoe build is exhaustively documented in a thread from last year in the By The Fireside section.

JerseyHighlander, I was aware in general terms of galvanic corrosion, but I know very little about it. I had hoped that the mild steel bolts were close enough to aluminum on the chart that it wouldn't happen too rapidly, but maybe that was a naive assumption. The nylon sleeves and washers sound like a great idea, but I don't know where to get them or what to ask for specifically. Are they something I should be looking to get from my local hardware store or that I would more likely need to order from an online supplier? I could bore the holes out to 5/16" or 3/8" to accommodate the sleeves, depending on how thick they are. I also have looked at aluminum bolts but I don't know how they would hold up to the vibration and stresses over time.
Zach
Old 07-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #11
darnedsox

Looks great Zach. Be safe.