Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #1
woodcamper

Taylor Pond

I stumbled upon Taylor Pond this past weekend, looks nice. Anyone camp at the boat access only sites? And are they worth the trip? Had been thinking about a return to Lila in August but Taylor has made me very curious.

Any info is great. Thanks in advance,
Wood
woodcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've stayed at all three lean-tos in the off season (in a single 4 day, 3 night winter trip even!). All three lean-tos are nice spots. The ones on the north and south shores have decent views out over the lake. The one on the west shore has been relocated and is a bit tricky to find. The old site is on the east side of a small bay, and it is quite obvious. The lean-to was moved to the west side of that same bay, and set back up in the woods some distance.

Remember that the tent sites and lean-tos on the lake are part of the Taylor Pond Campground when that campground is in operation. As such, they are fee use and likely will require a reservation through Reserve America. In the off season when the campground is closed, they revert to backcountry regulations and are first-come, first-serve.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
Buckladd

Taylor Pond was my hunting spot while attending SUNY Plattsburgh in the 80s and remains a favorite. We always hunted out of the lean-to on the south shore below Catamount where a brook comes down. I think the lean-to DSettahr is referring to is in a cove on the west end of the lake was burned and replaced, not sure, but that is a real nice spot. There are also two tent sites with a nice beach about a mile up the lake to the north as you come out of the first bay and into the main part of the lake. As for boating, this lake is famous for strong winds, so play it safe.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

One of my favorite places.
It's too bad that the leanto on the west end was burned.
My friend, Gordon Bushie helped to build it.

Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
One of my favorite places.
It's too bad that the leanto on the west end was burned.
My friend, Gordon Bushie helped to build it.

Jim
Gordon Bushie was the real deal. He lived there when I first visited there and gave me and my buddy some great advice. He was pretty tickled that a couple of college kids wanted to hunt the mountains. I went over there with my parents one time and he invited us all in for a visit. Great memories.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

Gordon spent his working career in the mines at Lyon Mtn.
He told me of times when they drilled upward to connect horizontal passages with ice cold water cascading on his head.
He and Clarence Petty built the leanto at the SW end of Taylor Pond.
Gordon always referred to him as Mr. Petty.
I took Gordon and his son "Brian" fishing on my charter boat on Lake Ontario.
I could tell you more stories about Gordon.
I really miss the guy, a real Adirondacker.
Rest in peace, Gordon.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote