Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #1
MaximusFunk24

Marine grade Plywood

wondering if anyone knows someplace within a few hours drive of plattsburgh that sells Okoume plywood for boat building?
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

http://www.pittsfordlumber.com/Pitts...hester-NY.html Requires full encapsulation such as epoxy. Do you plan to build or repair? I find that MDF is good for repairing decking. Sealing it with spar varnish or polyurethane is adequate.

Last edited by Schultzz; 07-05-2016 at 08:14 AM..
Schultzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
MaximusFunk24

Thanks, a bit further than I had hoped, but still cheaper than paying shipping online.

Im planning on building a Sassafras 14 stitch and glue lapstrake. Unfortunately I have a very tight budget, but after doing some research I'm under the impression that the plywood used isnt something that can be cheaped out on. Also, I like that the Okoume is extremely light, as this will be my budget alternative to a kevlar or cedar strip pack canoe.

My plan was to use fiberglass on the outer seams, stems, and very bottom of the hull only for cost and weight. I have a gallon of leftover 2 part Eastwood Epoxy primer from automotive purposes. It has the consistency of paint, and I plan to use it to wet out the glass and coat the rest of the hull. I would love for someone to tell me that this is fine and will work just as good as buying clear 2 part epoxy :P I plan on painting it afterwards, because epoxy primer will break down with UV exposure.

On the inside I was just going to use a lot of spar varnish and no epoxy (except to hold the bulkheads in place)
Old 07-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I can't advise about your project as I have never built a plywood boat of any kind. I've built two aspen-strip pack canoes and the cost of materials for each has been in the $300-400 range, so strip built might not be so bad given the high cost of marine plywood.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
Buckladd

I built a 6-hour canoe (actually, about 18 hours in the end) at a workshop at the Adirondack Museum over ten years ago. It's a great boat and we used two eight-foot sheets of marine plywood. I seem to recall the instructor saying you could order it. I'm sure you've considered that but check a local dealer and maybe they could order it for you. Good luck.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I used Oukome for the bulkheads, decks, cockpit and transom of a high performance sailboat that I built.

I do believe the word Okuome is French for "costs three times as much"!
It's been 15 years since I built that boat, and some of the inside was left as bare wood. The Okoume was warranted by Lloyds of London to be rot proof for 25 or 50 years of full or partial submersion in fresh or salt water. Pretty bold warranty, I guess it's really rot resistant.
The last I looked (fall of 2015) the inside of my hull and the bare Okoume looked just as it did the day I finished the boat!!

As for your plan to use that Eastman epoxy primer for a wet out, I say try a small test panel before you commit to do the entire hull. The primer is specifically formulated to serve a very different purpose than a structural epoxy resin. Better to find out how it works on a 12" x 12" panel...

And like Zach, I'll mention that a small strip built boat could be done on the cheap, but still be a quality hull. You already know that any potential hull built with sheet goods will be limited to simple curves and likely a hard chine.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
RichieC

Well as far as encapsulating... and marine, and wetting out fiberglass- i know you are on a budget... but if you experiment and it fails, you've not done well budget-wise as anything you spend would end up in the landfill.

West System is kinda fail safe, sinks in and becomes one with the wood, but expensive- I have found the best price from these guys:

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co...+to+Search.y=0

Shipping arrives in just a few days.

Whatever you get in two-part will have a decent cost, see if this figures to be that much more. Stuff is fantastic. There are others I suppose. This company's "kits" come with the measuring pumps- ( usually an added $18 cost- where I have seen it for sale in the shelf) makes mixing up small to large batches a no brainer. You can roll or brush it on, let it flow on its own, sand and the next layers won't take so much- but even if you stopped at one, and then spar Epiphaned varnished it or marine paint. I'd think you be farther along then anything not specially designed to be in the water.

However, I'll give you that any small boat isn't moored or anything- maybe it will be OK for the short time its in the water.

For what it's worth.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
MaximusFunk24

I was leaning towards a strip built at first, but when factoring in the cost of building a strongback, making forms, having to buy a ton of clear epoxy, way more fiberglass, and making some sort of contraption to steam the stems in, I picked the stitch and glue boat. The appearance has actually grown on me a lot, it looks kind of Scandinavian.

I've already got a big hunk of ash for the gunwales and thwart, sawhorses, along with some spar varnish and exterior paint. So if the Eastwood works, my only real cost will be the fiberglass tape and the plywood. I will probably make a trip to the place mentioned in Rochester in a few weeks unless someone knows of a closer supplier, or maybe a boat building place that might sell it.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #9
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Atlantic Plywood. near Albany http://atlanticplywood.com/

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #10
Banoe

I have built a few plywood canoes/boats out of different plywood. Okoume is the only way to go. Any other plywood will give you problems.

You can get cheaper epoxy than West System Epoxy. I have used Raka products before with good results. One boat is 15+ years old and the epoxy taped seams are still strong.

I found strip canoes easier and more satisfying to build than plywood canoes the cost was about the same but, I dont know if strip construction would work well with your epoxy paint/glass application.
Banoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #11
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

"West System is kinda fail safe, sinks in and becomes one with the wood," - Richie C.

I too have had good results with the West System epoxy, but be sure you follow up with a good spar varnish or it will turn chalky white. Yes it is expensive but it is proven.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
JohnnyVirgil

You might also try Curtis Lumber, in Ballston Lake NY. They ordered my marine plywood for me when I built my sailboat.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

RAKA is great stuff too, I used it on two strip canoes based on Stripperguy's recommendation and I was very pleased with how well it worked. It's also a bit cheaper than West System, I think.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #14
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
You might also try Curtis Lumber, in Ballston Lake NY. They ordered my marine plywood for me when I built my sailboat.
Its a chain. There is a Curtis Lumber in Plattsburgh. Did you try them?
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote