Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
Schip

W. Branch Sacandaga Paddle TR

Hello Fellow Paddlers,

Yesterday I had a fabulous solo outing on the W. Branch Sacandaga River. I put in at Shaker Place (photo 1). I was trying out my new fiberglass kayak, a Hurricane Santee Sport 115 that I picked up used on Craigslist (photo 2). It's a big upgrade from my old plastic Perception Algonquin 11.5. It's nearly 20 lbs lighter than the plastic boat.

I paddled from Shaker Place down to Trout Lake and back, about 12 miles RT. I easily crossed one small beaver dam without needing to get out. The water was so low in several places that I grounded a few times. But I was able to back up and find a deeper spot, so I never had to get out of the boat to get through.

The weather was fabulous. Sunny and in the upper 70's-low 80's. There was a light breeze most of the time so the bug action was minimal. I saw all kinds of critters. The only other people I encountered were two nice ladies at Trout Lake. They had come from the Good Luck Lake end. They had been there many times and said they had never seen the water so low. They encountered one obstacle on their trip but were able to get past it without getting out of the boat. Trout Lake was so low I couldn't really paddle much past the entrance.

The trip back took an hour less than the trip out. A truly memorable paddling experience. I arrived back at my car exhausted but happy. You just can't beat the beauty of the Adirondacks. (photo 3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W Sacandaga 1.jpg (54.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg W Sacandaga 3a.jpg (35.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg W Sacandaga 9a.jpg (36.5 KB, 88 views)
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

thanks Schip for the TR, we've wanting to do this part again for awhile, but the last time there was a 100 yard logjam that was a bear to get around. one of us just got a hurricane santee at paddlefest, so this will be a good paddle to break it in.
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote