Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
Woodly

Sled ropes

Its been years since I've pulled a sled into the woods but am planning a snowshoe trip for after Christmas with my grandson, his first ever winter camping trip, and I'd like some suggestions on recommended rope lengths over pond and generally flat terrain.
I'm thinking 70 to 80 inches but have read 100 or more which seems darn long to me, and down to 40.
Anyone here with experience have their suggestion?
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I don't have mine on hand to easily measure, but I'd say about 70+ inches sounds right. That's about how tall I am and I know that my ropes aren't much longer than that (if they're any longer at all).

It sounds like you're familiar with hauling a sled but just in case- running the ropes through PVC pipes, and then crossing the pipes in an x-pattern will keep the sled from catching up to you on the downhills.

Also, my first sled was way to big. Through trial and error, I've found that unless you're walking on a well-packed out, groomed trail, the sled works best if it supplements your pack rather than replaces it entirely. I.e., only about a third of your total gear (by weight) should be in the sled. To facilitate this, one of the smaller gear sleds I think is best (something like this).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I don't have mine on hand to easily measure, but I'd say about 70+ inches sounds right. That's about how tall I am and I know that my ropes aren't much longer than that (if they're any longer at all).

It sounds like you're familiar with hauling a sled but just in case- running the ropes through PVC pipes, and then crossing the pipes in an x-pattern will keep the sled from catching up to you on the downhills.

Also, my first sled was way to big. Through trial and error, I've found that unless you're walking on a well-packed out, groomed trail, the sled works best if it supplements your pack rather than replaces it entirely. I.e., only about a third of your total gear (by weight) should be in the sled. To facilitate this, one of the smaller gear sleds I think is best (something like this).
I have mine set now at 80 so I guess we're close. I am familiar with the x-ropes which are set and the pvc which I may forego. THANKS! And thanks for the other info too.
The trail likely won't be groomed but could be by snowmobile track but unlikely.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
After trying to haul a fairly well packed 54" though fresh snow last winter and thinking I was going to die because it felt like I was pulling an upside-down volkswagen, I second this. I'm going to size down and carry more on my back.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
Woodly

A young man I mentored and now is a professional guide and spent 40 days above the Arctic Circle skiing pulling a pulk, just wrote me and suggest 60 to 70 inches...so I guess we're all close.
He used aluminum ski poles rather than the pvc because of availability. Said they worked fine. I guess it also gave him spare poles too just in case.
We'll be cold camping and headed for a leanto so weight won't be high, just the necessities.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
backwoodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
After trying to haul a fairly well packed 54" though fresh snow last winter and thinking I was going to die because it felt like I was pulling an upside-down volkswagen, I second this. I'm going to size down and carry more on my back.
A short video Justin made of my son showing him how to pull a sled ( or two ) without having a heart attack.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4tkMcvg2GmA
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #7
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
A short video Justin made of my son showing him how to pull a sled ( or two ) without having a heart attack.

Yea, that works
Old 11-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:

Haha...
That sure was a fun trip!

As far as a good rope length, I never measured mine but I do have another video that shows what I use for my pulk sleds. It took me two tries to get the rope & pvc pipe length just right, but works great for my needs (apologies for poor sound quality)...

https://youtu.be/VGdNR2XHV24
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:30 PM   #9
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Haha...
That sure was a fun trip!

As far as a good rope length, I never measured mine but I do have another video that shows what I use for my pulk sleds. It took me two tries to get the rope & pvc pipe length just right, but works great for my needs (apologies for poor sound quality)...

https://youtu.be/VGdNR2XHV24
Real nice ideas...Thanks for posting that video.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
backwoodsman

Woodly , I'm only saying this out of concern.
Be safe out there , especially if it's just the two of you .
backwoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #11
Woodly

Quote:
Woodly , I'm only saying this out of concern.
Be safe out there , especially if it's just the two of you .
Might be only one but I always take my time and don't take chances.
Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #12
Woodly

Anyone of you ever pull, or heard of, 2 small sleds being pulled by one person?