Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coyote Contest ban for NY - Would love to see it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyote Contest ban for NY - Would love to see it!

Very proud to hear Vermont had the courage stand up to stop these insane predator killing contests. I hope someday NY State has the courage and forethought to do the same! They clearly server "zero" purpose and are just about slaughtering wildlife. Old School hunters (who do it only for food on the table) would never support such a disgraceful practice. Personally anyone involved in such a thing should loose their license to carry IMO. Predatory wildlife are essential to a healthy ecosystem. Hoping to stop the practice in NY especially within the Adirondacks.

The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Originally posted by adk View Post
    Very proud to hear Vermont had the courage stand up to stop these insane predator killing contests. I hope someday NY State has the courage and forethought to do the same! They clearly server "zero" purpose and are just about slaughtering wildlife. Old School hunters (who do it only for food on the table) would never support such a disgraceful practice. Personally anyone involved in such a thing should loose their license to carry IMO. Predatory wildlife are essential to a healthy ecosystem. Hoping to stop the practice in NY especially within the Adirondacks.

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Vt-...474752043.html
    This is an example of a well-meaning, but pointless legislative measure that will have no real impact on the coyote.

1) Coyotes are very abundant in the northeast and no amount of hunting, contest or otherwise, will change that.

2) Coyote hunting is still legal in VT and the regulations there are fairly lenient (in terms of how many you can take).

3) ADK's has coyote hunting, but due to a few factors (food sources, habitat, climate) it doesn't have the success rates of other parts of the state. There might be some contests up there, but I don't think it's a go-to area for such activities.

The coyote population is thriving in NY. There is no need to turn this into a controversy.
    Last edited by Bounder45; 03-01-2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Coyotes, the more you kill the more young they have-that's a fact.
      Without an alpha canine [loose dogs or wolves] or cat bigger then them [man ain't good enough] Coyotes pretty much do as they please-that's a fact also.

PERSONALLY, I don't care about the hunts or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
        Coyotes, the more you kill the more young they have-that's a fact.

That's not really a fact.

There are studies which show that casual hunting pressure doesn't decrease the population over the long term for a number of reasons: other breeding pairs will come in to replace those that are killed; hunters normally don’t eliminate the entire group (usually a breeding pair and young offspring); and the females are genetically inclined to have larger litters when under pressure.

However, there are also studies which show that continual pressure, especially trapping, can in fact keep coyote populations in check at a local level. I have read of managed deer properties employing a dedicated trapper for that specific purpose.

I think it’s less a fact that hunting/trapping can’t control the coyote numbers, and more a fact that recreational outdoorsmen have little desire to expend the effort that is required to actually keep coyote numbers under control.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounder45 View Post
          That's not really a fact.

There are studies which show that casual hunting pressure doesn't decrease the population over the long term for a number of reasons: other breeding pairs will come in to replace those that are killed; hunters normally don’t eliminate the entire group (usually a breeding pair and young offspring); and the females are genetically inclined to have larger litters when under pressure.

However, there are also studies which show that continual pressure, especially trapping, can in fact keep coyote populations in check at a local level. I have read of managed deer properties employing a dedicated trapper for that specific purpose.

I think it’s less a fact that hunting/trapping can’t control the coyote numbers, and more a fact that recreational outdoorsmen have little desire to expend the effort that is required to actually keep coyote numbers under control.
          No, its a fact.

Comment

While any hunting contest is not my thing, I am impartial as I believe its a very small part of the community as a whole. Read the book "Coyote America" if you are at all intrigued about the Coyote, there was so much I did not know. I believe it has been thoroughly researched and proven that surrounding populations do play a large part in how many pups a female will produce.

Comment

Have any of you [I haven't] seen the newspaper article about coyotes in the eastern part of NY biting people and such?
              I'd like to know more. My source couldn't remember much info. I believe the article was in Rochester's paper.
              Thanks

Comment

Most people who enter into these contests are coyote hunters anyway, so if there were no contests they will continue hunting coyotes. Coyote fur is in strong demand and pays a decent price. Also, I think wild turkeys, grouse, varying hare, cottontail rabbits, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, house cats , dogs ,and other coyote prey species are in favor of these contests.

Comment

Woodly: The coyote attack happened in Hudson Falls (Washington County) last summer. There was quite a bit of media coverage. It was rabid, which an ECO told me is rare for coyotes, but does happen.
                  “I’ll give you the thumbs up,” Rita Sweenor said in posing for this photo Monday evening, five days after a rabid coyote ripped open her scalp, face, arms and legs. How is she doing? “I’m a positive person...I have a lot of recovery to do. Will I have scars? I don’t care. I am who

I know a lot of coyote hunters, and have done it myself. I don't care one way or the other about the contests.

I'm not a coyote expert but from what I understand they are like any other critter and go where the food is. You can eradicate an entire population from a property, say a QDM, but if there is a food source there they will eventually return. Those who don't want them around rely on hunting and trapping seasons to do the best they can.
                  Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                    Woodly: The coyote attack happened in Hudson Falls (Washington County) last summer. There was quite a bit of media coverage. It was rabid, which an ECO told me is rare for coyotes, but does happen.
                    “I’ll give you the thumbs up,” Rita Sweenor said in posing for this photo Monday evening, five days after a rabid coyote ripped open her scalp, face, arms and legs. How is she doing? “I’m a positive person...I have a lot of recovery to do. Will I have scars? I don’t care. I am who

I know a lot of coyote hunters, and have done it myself. I don't care one way or the other about the contests.

I'm not a coyote expert but from what I understand they are like any other critter and go where the food is. You can eradicate an entire population from a property, say a QDM, but if there is a food source there they will eventually return. Those who don't want them around rely on hunting and trapping seasons to do the best they can.
                    Buckladd, thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

'And a void in nature is always filled' [with something].

Comment

Working...
                    X