Lion or bobcat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lion or bobcat?

Reportedly taken yesterday along the Housatonic River in the Berkshires. Definitely not one of those scam photos. Many say it looks like a lion, others say bobcat. What do you guys think?

Its a cropped image, the original wouldn't upload due to its size

Also, photographer said tail seemed to be short when the cat walked away
    Attached Files

It appears to have a mottled under side, typical of bobcats but not lions. It's hard to tell from the photo, but if you stretch your imagination, you can detect spots on his back, however the ears lack the markings and points of a bobcat.

Comment

Pretty clear it is a bobcat from visible markings.

Comment

Thanks guys... there was definitely some talk about the ears not appearing to be typical of a bobcat. Also talk of the markings on the underside, but when looking at professional pictures of known lions, the markings appear to be similar to lions. Coat looks tawny, without the more typical spots/marks on a bobcat. Obviously i know there is some variation to both species. To me the most telling part is the eye witness stated the tail was short. Anyways, just wondering what people thought, thanks.

Comment

There is something odd about the photo in the area of the ears.

Comment

fake news....wrong head..wrong body.....just saying

Comment

I thought that i saw Hitler yesterday..

Comment

It's not a cougar.

It's funny how all these pictures showing supposed cougar always seem to be zoomed in and grainy. I'm sure if the photographer had zoomed out (to allow other objects in the fore and background to be compared to the animal for size and scale) it would've been readily apparent to even the untrained eye.

Comment

I'm no expert, but there are all kinds of weird relics on this photo, all over the animal, to make me think it was a photoshop job with low sophistication.

Comment

I think it might be a Coycat. :-)

Comment

Yet another second-hand game cam photo that's blurry...

Comment

Originally posted by Bounder45 View Post
                        It's not a cougar.

It's funny how all these pictures showing supposed cougar always seem to be zoomed in and grainy. I'm sure if the photographer had zoomed out (to allow other objects in the fore and background to be compared to the animal for size and scale) it would've been readily apparent to even the untrained eye.
                        The original is a much better photo but i was unable to upload it. The only one i could upload was the cropped version, which is much worse. It wasnt the photographer who cropped it, it was someone else.

Here is the facebook post.
                        While kayaking on the river in stockbridge yesterday...

Like i said, the photographer even said short tail, its a bobcat. I just personally thought it was an i teresting discussion piece because it had aspects that made it look like a cougar. Photo not manipulated, not a conspiracy

Comment

I'm no expert, but that's a bobcat in my opinion. If you look at the size of the log compared to the cat, you can see that the cat is relatively small - commensurate with a bobcat not a mountain lion.
                          Cool photo either way!
                          Spencer Bigfoot

Comment

Hey Eagle Craig, don't you mean "copycat"?
                            Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Wow nice picture. Is that real?

Comment

Working...
                              X