What did I see today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I see today?

So I was just walking along descending from the summit of Macomb peak when I saw this crazy looking bird. It was bright yellow, probably 14-16 inches in length, and had super long tail feathers. Looked like some sort of exotic bird at first. Followed it down the trail a while until it popped off into the woods . Looked like some sort of peacock or something upon closer investigation, but looked smaller than a peacock. Anyways, super curious. Pretty cool bird! Anyone know what it is?
    Last edited by fbowman89; 10-18-2016, 09:28 PM.

Just guessing: Cedar Waxwing?
    Or somebody's pet that got loose?
    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

I can't think of anything that size that's bright yellow -- though people (including me) often overestimate size. Was it yellow all over, or what parts? Female orioles, and Great Crested Flycatchers, have lots of yellow (the flycatcher, bright yellow bottom), but they've probably migrated by now. The male Evening Grosbeak has lots of yellow, but it tends to be a duller yellow. You might try googling them or checking a field guide, and seeing if they look right. If it really was 14-16 inches, mostly bright yellow, with very long tail feathers, your guess of an exotic might be right. What was it doing? Mostly on the ground? If not, where in the forest was it -- low branches, trunks, higher up? What were the wings like? Did it have other colors anywhere? Crest? Wing patches?

Other thought: could it be from the Elk Lake property? Does someone there have a collection of pheasants or parrots or suchlike?

Comment

Big bird?

Comment

this is what came to mind for me. the general description and location both seem to fit. it was posted in the aspiring 46'rs facebook group as well. there was some speculation there but nothing concrete.

if it wasn't this bird it is possible they have come from the same source.
          Last edited by greatexpectations; 10-19-2016, 12:31 PM.

Comment

That's it! A golden pheasant! So strange to see this kind of bird on top of a mountain!! Thanks everyone!

Comment

Somebodies pet... and an expensive one at that... perhaps raised for its feathers which are called for in various patterns of Flies for fishing. Though a Golden Pheasant crest is not particularly expensive and are available everywhere... I have 2.

The bird in the video is not a golden pheasant, they have much more orangeish-red sides... but a Yellow Golden Pheasant. From what I found online - they are not found outside of captivity... doubt it will make it through the winter

In any case, a particularly beautiful bird...

Comment

Wikipedia says the original Golden Pheasant is native to mountainous areas in Western China, and that "Despite the male's showy appearance, these hardy birds are very difficult to see in their natural habitat, which is dense, dark young conifer forests with sparse undergrowth. Consequently, little is known about their behaviour in the wild." So maybe it'll do OK -- sounds like the ADK mountains have some good habitat for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieC View Post
                  Somebodies pet... and an expensive one at that... perhaps raised for its feathers which are called for in various patterns of Flies for fishing. Though a Golden Pheasant crest is not particularly expensive and are available everywhere... I have 2.

The bird in the video is not a golden pheasant, they have much more orangeish-red sides... but a Yellow Golden Pheasant. From what I found online - they are not found outside of captivity... doubt it will make it through the winter

In any case, a particularly beautiful bird...

https://www.purelypoultry.com/yellow...nts-p-786.html
                  Yeah I just did some research myself and thats definitely what we saw. I have a pretty clear picture of it on my camera. It was letting us get within 5 feet of it before it would scurry away. We followed it down the trail for around 10 minutes. We were joking about how it seemed so out of place that it might be someones pet. Seems like it actually might be which is sad. I wonder how it would have gotten up there though?

Comment

Working...
                  X