No announcement yet.

Moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got told by a hungry cow moose to leave in May.. The buds were just out on the trees. It had been a hard winter.

The moose looked at me. Head went down, Hair went up on back and it came toward me and stopped planting all feet firmly.. I was on a trail in back of my house ( I could see my house). I went off the trail. The moose went off the trail and circled around hemlocks but still my house was in back of me and clear. I backed up and went to clean the kitchen floor....
    This summer we had a mom and calf blunder into camp while we drank coffee.. Was about ten feet away before mom decided to leave.. Pucker power time.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
      .. Pucker power time.
      ...and also time for a fresh pair of shorts haha!

Comment

Nice Justin. I'm glad the one we saw this year decided to leave. It could have become difficult to back away, upstream, in our Hornbecks!
        'I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.' - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Thanks Keith.
          I remember your Fish Ponds/Cod Pond Flow report. Who knows...Could be the difference in behavior between late June & late Sept.

Comment

Nice pictures Justin, Years ago I was camped at Duckhole an a cow an calve came out on the other side an stayed around for quiet a while.

Comment

What? No video! (thumbs down)

Comment

Originally posted by montcalm View Post
                What? No video! (thumbs down)
                https://youtu.be/BYlttyrSdn4

Yeah, might be time to invest in a better video camera.

Comment

Congrats on getting to have the experience. My wife and I have come close in the ADKs many times with no luck. But I've seen moose in other states and Canada.

A rutting moose is nothing to tangle with, especially in NY where they are not hunted and understand no threats. They do not have great eyesight but like deer, have a great sense of smell. My guess is this bull was curious about your dog.
                  Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                    ...My guess is this bull was curious about your dog.
                    Yup, that's the story of my life for the past 10+ years now.

Comment

That's awesome Justin, a bull to boot!!! I'm still waiting to see my first Adk moose.
                      Red means run son, numbers add up to nothing.....

Comment

Glad you & Jenny were smart enough to back away. I had a moose encounter a couple of years ago in Rocky Mt. National Park. As my wife and I were heading down the trail we met another couple coming from the other direction. They warned us that there was a bull moose & cow ahead of us; as well as another hiker. We hiked about a quarter mile and I could see this guy in front of us trying to pass the bull. Every time this person tried to push past the moose the bull would lower his head, scuff the ground and eventually even shook the branches with his antlers. My wife and I both agreed that we were watching "Recreational Darwinism" at it's best so we quietly withdrew and went back the way we'd come. The last thing I heard was the moose bellowing and branches breaking. We never saw/heard anything else and I have no idea what happened to that hiker but I just couldn't believe he didn't get the message.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

Sometimes you find them where you least expect them - this one was just off the bike path by the end of the Anchorage airport runway.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.

Comment

Nice photo kwc, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Snapper, thanks for sharing your story.
                              It's funny how one's fear of a moose can change in only a matter of hours.
                              I was slightly more brave to stay put a try for some photos when I saw the moose in the morning as opposed to when I saw him in the evening when I scared sh!tless & quickly retreated to my campsite.

Comment

Saw several posts on FB today of a young moose trotting through Gloversville, right down the sidewalk, judging by one of the houses in the background it looked to be down the road from Boulevard school. Looks very similar in size and age to your pics. In one shot a woman is standing only 30 feet or so from him. I'd say he took a wrong turn, or maybe came down the bike trail, and seriously hope someone notified the local DEC so they could make sure it safely clears the area. Far too many dummies round abouts that would be tempted to take a shot at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X