Moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moose

I finally had my first Adirondack moose sighting....
    ...Far off trail & deep in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness...

That's awesome,congratulations

Comment

Fantastic sighting!
      Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Awesome! Great shots!

Comment

Congratulations on the Moose sighting Justin... I imagine that was a bit exciting.
          My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
            I finally had my first Adirondack moose sighting....
            ...Far off trail & deep in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness...

Absolutely fantastic images and "exactly" why we need to protect and help grow our small Moose population. Moments like you have described are what its all about. :-)
            The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

Awesome sight. Still waiting for mine.
              Tick Magnet

Comment

Thanks for the comments, all!

Originally posted by bioguide View Post
                ... I imagine that was a bit exciting.
                To say the least!
                I actually saw him twice...Once in the evening around dusk (when all I had was my GoPro camera with me), and then again in the morning when I was able to get these shots with my Nikon. It was actually a little scary, because on both occasions he also saw Jenny & I, and began to walk towards us, and he was as close as about 50 yards when I saw him in the evening.
                Thankfully, we were able to carefully sneak away without any issues. Unfortunately, he is not visible in the GoPro recording, but please stay tuned for a video of the trip coming soon.

Comment

Awesome!!
                  I saw a mother and two calves during hunting season 2 years ago in Corinth. Needless to say, when you are looking for whitetail, it's a huge surprise to see them walking towards you!!
                  Looking forward to more videos.
                  My wife was showing me youtube videos she found last week and said " you should see this". I watched and was like.."That's Justin". Then had to explain who Justin was.
                  p.s. she really enjoyed the avatar video the most...lol
                  Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

Ha!
                    Thanks Skillz!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

There was a big bull moose walking in the road about 3/4 of the way between Tupper and Long Lake two weeks ago. Saw him on the way to the start of day-2 of the 90-mile canoe race. he lumbered off into the woods toward the east as we approached. No time to get out a camera. That's my third ADK moose. Saw a cow and calf a few years ago while paddling on Dismal Pond.
                        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

It makes me wonder, as I know that a bull moose can be territorial, especially during the fall rut...

What is the proper thing to do if a bull moose seems like he is making an attempt to approach you after becoming aware of your presence?

That clearly seemed to be the case for me early yesterday morning & the evening prior. Thursday evening in particular, he was only about 50 yards away, and as soon as he became aware of our presence he began to walk towards us along the shore. In my sudden state of awe & shock, I almost wanted to shout out at the top of my lungs to try & scare him, but opted instead to quickly, carefully, & quietly make our way back to the campsite, and thankfully avoided any kind of incident.

He must have circled around our campsite sometime during the course of the remainder of the evening & into the next morning, because I spotted him again about a 100 yards away out on an island further down the pond the next day. I was standing on a point recording a short video clip & talking into the camera (unbeknownst of his presence), and after filming the clip I noticed him standing there out on the island looking in our direction.

I was able to snap off a few photos as he turned & plunged into the water & then swam across the narrow channel. Once ashore, he then starting walking in our direction again, and needless to say I told Jenny that it was time to go, and thankfully did not see him again.

Thoughts?
                          Last edited by Justin; 10-01-2016, 07:22 PM. Reason: Typing issues

Comment

When i was canoe racing on the Yukon river, the locals told us we would see bears and moose. We saw plenty of each. They said, unless they are threatened, bears are primarily only interested in stealing your food, just like here at home, but if a moose takes interest in you, he probably wants to kill you. Especially during the rut. Be more afraid of a moose than a bear was the serious advice given to us.
                            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Thanks Wldrns!
                              I'm happy that Jenny & I are still here to remember the experience & tell the story. Perhaps my campfire helped keep him at bay during the night.

Comment

Working...
                              X