No announcement yet.

Coyote Attack in Hudson Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops, i'm living in NY and don't have a strong desire to meet a coyote in the street.

Comment

Coyotes generally hunt in family groups.
      You may see a lone coyote, but you can bet that there are more nearby.
      This particular coyote was determined to be rabid.
      A sure sign of over population.

Comment

One year, when I was in college, I got home just in time for Christmas and couldn’t wait to get in the woods grouse hunting. That’s where I was Christmas Eve morning and was in a pretty secluded spot with a little crunchy snow on the ground. I stopped when I heard a commotion coming from behind that turned out to be an adult doe that came flying by about 50-60 yards from me. I watched as a coyote came not 100 yards behind her. They were gone in a heartbeat. I followed them for over half mile and never saw another track other than the deer and the coyote. The deer ran in a straight line until it crossed a brook, then made a sharp left and followed the brook to a marsh, which they both crossed, but I didn’t. This experience is just one reason why I’ve never bought the whole “coyotes hunt in packs” thing.

I can’t tell you how many coyotes have come out of our deer drives in the Adirondacks over the years and they’re almost always alone and not far from the deer. Many times they are ahead of the deer because they split once a hunter is on their tail and the deer come out after. That’s why I personally don’t shoot coyotes when deer hunting.
        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
          I can’t tell you how many coyotes have come out of our deer drives in the Adirondacks over the years and they’re almost always alone and not far from the deer. Many times they are ahead of the deer because they split once a hunter is on their tail and the deer come out after.
          Red fox will do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by St.Regis View Post
            Red fox will do the same.
            Just saw a red fox trying to hide from my headlights coming from Eagle Bay. Talk about stealth!
            Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

I don't believe that coyotes hunt in packs like wolves do. Usually only see one at a time.
              Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
                Just saw a red fox trying to hide from my headlights coming from Eagle Bay. Talk about stealth!
                I don't see the foxes so much now that I have a plethora of coyotes around my house.
                Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I've seen more fox the past couple years around my area. There are a couple groups of hunters that chase the yotes pretty hard after deer season ends. I suspect the hunters are removing enough of them to give the fox a bit of relief.

Comment

I don't see the foxes so much now that I have a plethora of coyotes around my house.
                    Same as at my house.
                    We had a family of Red Fox for years, but since the coyotes have moved in, I haven't seen a fox...over ten years now!

Comment

About 15 years ago I was putting siding up on my garage and noticed what looked like a cat cleaning itself in the field my house sits in. I climbed down and approached it and it had one foot in the air, just like a cat, but it was a small fox. I stood there about 5 feet from it before it noticed me, growled, and ran off. I laughed like hell. No camera, of course.
                      Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                        Same as at my house.
                        ... since the coyotes have moved in, I haven't seen a fox...over ten years now!
                        I couldn't help myself...
                        Attached Files
                        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I couldn't help myself...

Excellent!

Comment

Check this guy out. Caught him on my trail cam this past winter. The southern tier is loaded with them.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Schultzz View Post
                              I don't believe that coyotes hunt in packs like wolves do. Usually only see one at a time.
                              They do. When you find deer kills with more than 1 set of tracks, and you run into their denning areas where you hear multiple yips, it's easy to recognize that the are usually multiple coyotes hanging out together.

A lot of times its just a mating pair and maybe some young offspring...sometimes they hang out in bigger groups, depending on the food availability.

You'll often only see one at a time because they usually spread out and disperse when looking for food; wolves often do the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X