Planning for camping in blackfly season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
    Always travel with a partner who is taller than you. Black flies (deer flies too), are attracted to the highest part of a warm body. I've done the following many times: When you've had enough, just sidle on over to your tall friend, especially if you can find your way to a shallow depression while standing within a couple of feet from him/her. Engage in idle conversation and the flies that had been bugging you will make their departure to then surround your unfortunate good friend, temporarily anyway. Be discrete, this only works while you friend is unaware of what you are doing.
    That is devious, and also pretty darn funny. It made me chuckle thinking of you picking out the tallest students participating in one of your woodland navigational courses and suddenly befriending him/her when the bugs get bad.

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post

When solo, I cover a lot more miles per day during bug season. My strategy is to just keep moving, tolerate them when I must. It is all part of being in the woods, especially when other people are not.
    It's funny how sometimes you don't realize just how many are trailing you until you stop for a quick drink or to take a leak and suddenly you are enveloped in a dark, swarming cloud as they all catch up.

Comment

Working...
    X