What tracks are these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tracks are these?

Was at Shelving Rock in Lake George on 4/2/2017 and spotted these tracks along the trail leading down to Log Bay. Didn't get a picture to reference them for size, but they seemed significantly bigger than a dogs print. They stayed along the trail but wandered off into the woods frequently. They may be a domestic/pet dog, but their size led me to believe they were something wild. Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Files

Likely a coyote as they're all over up there. Hard to tell how big these are with nothing to compare them to. Still, don't be fooled by size. My 36-pound dog used to leave a larger track that I would've imagined, not to mentioned these tracks expanded in the melting snow.
    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Could be coyote, but looks like fisher. Its hard to tell from photos. Coyotes are generally diamond shaped. And that looks more tear drop shaped. Then again when they are heavily melted out, they get distorted.

Comment

Yeah at the time I didn't even think of adding in the photo for size reference, thought of it after the fact. The main middle pad of the print was probably the size of a baseball - again, could be distorted from the melt like you each have said

Comment

Originally posted by forgedin78 View Post
          Could be coyote, but looks like fisher. Its hard to tell from photos. Coyotes are generally diamond shaped. And that looks more tear drop shaped. Then again when they are heavily melted out, they get distorted.
          Fishers bound, coyotes walk.
          Jim

Comment

Looks like coyote to me. Don't fishers have 5 toes?

Comment

Originally posted by aft paddle View Post
              Looks like coyote to me. Don't fishers have 5 toes?
              Fisher do have a 5th toe.

Looks like coyote tracks, but unless you have an object to compare it to, it's hard to tell from a photo.

Comment

I've seen numerous coyotes around there, not to mention folks with dogs. Where exactly are these tracks?
                Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Looks like coyote or dog. You can usually tell the difference because dog tracks usually meander around, like dogs do and coyotes tend to move more in a straight line.

Comment

Yeah the more I think about it, the tracks seemed to walk up to every tree, just like a dog would normally do. But they did however wander off into the woods.

The tracks were located on the trail that leads down to Log Bay from the parking area on the left, just after the trailhead for Shelving Rock

Comment

Fishers, due to their long body, bound rather than walk.
                      Any predator will investigate prey.
                      Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X