Bear on 2 legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Justin.
    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

An unfortunate update to this thread. Pedals as he was nicknamed, the bipedal bear was a fixture here in my town with a pretty extensive following trying to help him. Unfortunately the bear hunting season started this past Monday and some petty fool for some unfathomable reason was determined to get this bear specifically. He was successful and the upright walking bear was shot during the bow hunting period the beginning of the week. I guess at least he won't have to struggle to get through this winter if it is a harsh one.

Comment

The bear should have worn some blaze orange. That's unfortunate. Obviously a "bottom feeder" who couldn't find a normal healthy bear instead of picking on a near tame bear.
        Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

This idiot gives hunting a bad name.
          "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyHighlander View Post
            An unfortunate update to this thread. Pedals as he was nicknamed, the bipedal bear was a fixture here in my town with a pretty extensive following trying to help him. Unfortunately the bear hunting season started this past Monday and some petty fool for some unfathomable reason was determined to get this bear specifically. He was successful and the upright walking bear was shot during the bow hunting period the beginning of the week. I guess at least he won't have to struggle to get through this winter if it is a harsh one.
            Originally posted by geogymn View Post
            This idiot gives hunting a bad name.
            NJ has a bear hunting season. The "idiot" hunter you are referring to legally killed a bear, which we're assuming is the same one that got all the press coverage for walking upright.

That bear was no more entitled to special protections than any other bear, or game animal for that matter. IMHO, the people who are being "petty" are the ones who trying to anthropomorphize a bear but then have no qualms about eating their big mac's and steak dinners.

If you're a dedicated vegetarian who dislikes the idea of hunting bears, I disagree with you, but you at least have my respect for abiding by some sort of principle. If you're a meat eater and you're criticizing this hunter for doing what he did, you're being very hypocritical.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyHighlander View Post
              No one knows if this bear was specifically targeted
              Nj wildlife does not release names of hunters
              Person accused of killing this bear has been harrassed and threatened and he did not kill this bear in fact he has never participated in a nj bear hunt
              People have no problem harrassing and threatening an innocent man
              But god forbid a bear is killed

Comment

Hypocrite! Yes I am. I have been plagued by that syndrome my whole life. But I have been on a quest to correct my course. On thing I tried to abide is the ideal of fair chase. If the killer of said bear was in engaged in fair chase then I apologize. I was wrong in judging the hunter, I meant only to judge the action. I hereby declare my label of idiot is withdrawn. Peace!
                "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Originally posted by geogymn View Post
                  Hypocrite! Yes I am. I have been plagued by that syndrome my whole life. But I have been on a quest to correct my course. On thing I tried to abide is the ideal of fair chase. If the killer of said bear was in engaged in fair chase then I apologize. I was wrong in judging the hunter, I meant only to judge the action. I hereby declare my label of idiot is withdrawn. Peace!
                  I'm not really sure how fair chase even comes into play in this scenario. What exactly were you expecting of the hunter? To not take the shot because the bear was confined to the use of only two of its legs? And this is assuming the hunter knew the bear's history.

The issue of fair chase is subjective, but what hard rules there are normally get laid out in the local/state hunting regulations: use of radios; hours/days open for hunting; use of dogs; weapons used; ect. The hunter in question was perfectly legal in taking the bear, at least according to what has been reported so far. And if that hunter hadn't taken the bear, it's very likely that it would have suffered a slow death over a hard winter.

It seems a lot of the people who are getting outraged over this incident are just using it at as an excuse to try and outlaw bear hunting in NJ for a second time.

Comment

Are there any bears around Bear Mountain?

Comment

We watched a bear looking for food for over 5 minutes. He turned over logs and ripped bark off trees with bees buzzing his head.

Yes quite a few. My husband hit one in northern NJ

Comment

Working...
                      X