Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2017, 01:05 AM   #1
troutchaser

Backcountry Lakers

So my last two trips took me 25 miles round trip. Which amounts to almost a quarter of my spring season total miles. I headed back to upper and lower mystery "ponds" in search of the trout trifecta. Lakers, bows, and brookies. But the bows and brookies didn't get the memo. Only lakers were caught but they certainly did not disappoint. Water temps on the "ponds" both weekends were between 63 and 67 degrees. The wind was kind of a catch 22. The 10-15 mph wind made fishing and trolling tough but also kept surface temps down. Fish were found anywhere from about 25 to 50 feet.
On the first weekend to mystery ponds I was there for an overnight landing only one fish(Picture 1). This was my first laker and after a number of trips over the past few years trying to catch one of these elusive fish it was extremely satisfying to finally catch one. This particular fish was not at all a trophy, probably 15 or 16 inches but one I'll never forget. The next day I was to leave but not without fishing the morning. I hooked one more fish and got the first taste of what a decent laker could do. Unfortunately I couldn't bring this fish in. It got off literally right next to the canoe as I was trying to figure out how I was going to get this pond monster out of the water since my net was not even close to big enough. Mistakes were made enough said.

Onto the second weekend. Which was actually a 4 day trip(July 4th weekend). The hike in entailed a thunderstorm and getting soaked with sweat from the humidity. Also the raging torrents and mud on the trail was to much for my boots. Oh well deal with it. Luckily no blisters. So a total of five fish were caught. Fish one was probably 18-20 inches (Picture 2). Fish two and three were 16 and 18 respectively (no pics). Fish four was my first landed pond monster (picture 3), which measured in at 25 inches. And the final fish of the trip was another even bigger pond monster (pic 4), which measured in at 28 inches. I do think that these ponds probably do hold somewhat bigger fish possibly 30 inch plus. All in all these were two fantastic trips even though I didn't find the bows and brookies. The big lakers definitely made up for it. Who ever has said lakers don't fight don't know what they're talking about or are using to heavy of tackle. These fish put up a spectacular fight. Some of the most fun I've had fishing all season. Hope you all enjoy the pics. More to come soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstlaker1.jpg (75.4 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg 1laker2trip1.jpg (100.7 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 25inlaker1.jpg (95.7 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 28inlaker1.jpg (136.1 KB, 265 views)
troutchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #2
EagleCrag

Nice report Chaser. Always good to see fish pics. Not sure where you were but I'd venture to say there are much bigger lakers in there judging from what you caught. What did you catch them on?
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Stillhunter

Well done Troutchaser!!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
troutchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Nice report Chaser. Always good to see fish pics. Not sure where you were but I'd venture to say there are much bigger lakers in there judging from what you caught. What did you catch them on?
All of these fish were caught trolling. The old Adk standby LC wabbler and worm or as I like to call it The Double W. I also used some old no longer made salmon spoons in different ways. Which included rigging it similar to a wabbler. Essentially using it like a small dodger. I'm a fan of live bait so worms were used. I also know the use and possession of certain bait is prohibited in wilderness areas but I also feel there is no harm in using bait caught on location. With that said for legal sake I didn't use said bait. But what I will say is that there were small minnows in the lake that were 1-4 inches long, brown to dark brown back, silver side with a slight purple iridescent shine, and a white belly. Lake chub perhaps? I'm really not sure. They were an interesting little fish that's for sure. Protected from the trout at this time due to water temps.
Also saw these large bugs on the water Mayflies?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7020059.jpg (49.7 KB, 219 views)
Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
troutchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Well done Troutchaser!!
Thanks Stillhunter. I had a canoe load of fun on this trip. Definitely worth going back at some point in time.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #6
Green Drake

Your mayfly appears to be a green drake, but what do i know. Nice lakers.
Green Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

That mayfly is definitely a Hexagenia. They're known to hatch this time of summer.

Very nice lakers!
Old 07-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I was catching some nice smallmouth bass on hexagenias a week ago on a pond I hadn't fished in 20 or so years. It's a drive up pond with but a short carry but very seldom fished, kind of lost between the big motor boat lakes and the

Paddled by a lean-to that I stayed in back in the summer of 1969. I distinctly remember, because we took a transistor radio and listened live as Neal Armstrong walked on the moon.

I guess I'm getting old.......
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Was catching some nice smallmouth bass a week ago on Hexagenias on a pond I hadn't been on in 20 or so years.

I distinctly remember a trip to this same pond back in the summer of 1969, paddled by the same lean-to (at least the same location) that we stayed in that trip. I remember because we took a transistor radio and listened live as Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

One of those drive up ponds with a small canoe launch, but kind of forgotten and seldom fished. Lost between the big motor boat lakes and the backcountry carry in ponds. Still has very good fishing though, after all these years.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:46 AM   #10
troutchaser

Connecticut Yankee, old or not thanks for sharing the story. I enjoyed reading it. Very cool.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:24 AM   #11
troutchaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
That mayfly is definitely a Hexagenia. They're known to hatch this time of summer.

Very nice lakers!
Thanks VT. Also thanks for the insect insight.