Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
beartooth91
beartooth91

Type 3 or 4 Full Sink Line for Ponds

I'm about to purchase a higher density sinking line for probing pond depths of say down to 20 feet.

In addition to a floater, I currently carry full intermediate and Type 2 sinking lines.

Any thoughts as to whether I should go with a Type 3 (~3.25 ips) or a Type 4 (~4.5 ips)?

Thanks
beartooth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
58rover

it depends some on your rod weight. Don't want to overload rod.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

20 feed deep is 240 inches, to get that deep get the fastest sinking line you can. A type IV 6 weight is fine on any 6 weight rod. The line isn't actually any (or only marginally) heavier than your floating line, just much thinner, thus displacing less area and sinking faster than the fatter floating line.
Also look into the quick descent lines, Teeny Lines introduced them years ago, Cortland makes then too. I have a 175 grain I use on a 6 weight and a 450gr that I use on an 8 or 9 weight to really get down. When I fished a lot in the salt I had a 650gr on a 10 weight. These line are more like shooting heads (another option) and need a bit different casting technique than a floating line. In fact , I hear people say that they can't cast a sinking line very far. In fact physics would suggest that you should cast a sinking line farther than a floater. Thinner line = less friction in the guides and less air resistance on the way out to the target.

John M
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Love my Airflo Sixth Sense Type V. All except for the color, that is. Blue and orange.

I wrote to Airflo asking if I could dye it with RIT dye at 180 degrees. "Why yes", Gareth replied. "I do it all the time".

Now my line is dark green with very stealthy brown hang markers. It is the perfect deep water line.