Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #101
wiiawiwb

I've never had a Forester or Outback but have had three 4Runners. I think in a SHTF scenario, the 4Runner would be my choice over any Subaru.

Having said that, in winter if you put Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 on either Subaru, with x-drive, there's not much that's going to stop you.

I'm looking at Subaru come Spring.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #102
ScAtTeRbOnE
Balsam Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Can't resist sharing this photo of a mid 80's Subaru, trapped and abandoned in a spot where it probably never should have been, along Buttermilk Road Extension.

I'm not a big "off-roader" but I remember seeing this when my brother convinced me to take my Jeep as far as we could go in there a few years ago, needless to say this was the end of the line! Had to back out as there were boulders blocking the narrow road there. As noted above I now believe this is far beyond where the state would approve access. The road was rough then, I don't know how it is now, but even this year I saw "no-clearance" cars go past Buttermilk Falls PA.

PS: My brother (A Jeep fanatic) and his wife just bought a new Subaru, just shows what marriage can do to you. They really like it, they even let me drive it and it seemed fine to me, although the dash looked like a Star Wars X-wing instrument panel. Right now I'm looking for a used Jeep or maybe even a Subaru, if anyone has one let me know!
ScAtTeRbOnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 AM   #103
yellowcanoe

We've had a fair bit of snow the last week. 40 inches.

Yesterday it was only a foot. The roads were plowed once. ( no salt and sand, just plowed. ) We do not have a lot of traffic in the backroads of the foothills of the Whites.

So the Forester was called on to negotiate up and down hills ( about four in the 800 foot/ mile ascent category). Plus a few farm areas with about 12 inch drifts.

It was a blast and we only slid once in 70 miles.. Snowbank pinball ( the banks are nice and high and if you glance off, soft enough you dont dent the car)

We try not to take it off road. The Forester is not meant for that. though we do drive it on the lake in the winter. Its a 2009 so its a little bigger than the older models.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #104
ADKpondhopper
FishyH2OSeeker

Touring Clubs ?

While snowblowing the driveway to our camp I saw what appeared to be a touring club of Subies from all different states heading north on route 30 outside of Speculator. There were at least twenty cars and some looked pretty tricked out with various accessories. And when heading home the next day we passed another group near Northville. Has anyone else seen or heard of these clubs touring through the Adirondacks?
Old 06-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #105
fintastic

Full Circle

Bought my first Subaru this Spring. Nice vehicle so far. Had to find a replacement for the. "03 Grand Cherokee with 298K miles
fintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #106
rickhart

Me too. My 2009 Honda Fit was totalled several months ago (by a kid who was texting), and I used the insurance $$ to buy a Forester. I've been so frustrated, esp. since starting to paddle 7 years ago, by the number of access points requiring higher clearance than the Fit (which is a great car, overall) -- especially in Maine, but other states too. Haven't had a chance to do a remote trip yet, but my options are much wider now. I like the Forester a lot, except the lower mileage.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote