Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
dundee

Dog poop in bags

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...-at-trailheads

I see this on many trails and in my local park. I guess it's not just me. C'mon folks, clean-up!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #2
Tick Magnet

Great topic!

As a former dog owner, this one sticks in my craw. While not really noticing a problem in the places I hike in the Adirondacks, this is definitely a problem in our suburban paradise.

I spent a lot of time this summer at Saratoga Spa State Park (http://nysparks.com/parks/saratogaspa/details.aspx). It's a totally awesome place with lots of cool stuff to do and see. Unfortunately, we had a huge problem with people walking dogs off leash and having to deal with their leavings.

We had a grad student who was studying the Karner Blue butterfly in a federally protected habitat. She got so upset with dog poop everywhere (photo 1) that she designed and posted these "Poop Fairy" signs. We tried to educate people as much as possible, but couldn't be there all the time and frankly, a lot of people didn't want to be educated. Sad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2b bag - Copy.jpg (129.5 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 2a fairy - Copy.jpg (88.9 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 11-29-2016 at 11:57 AM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
dundee

Sadly,the best educator is a ticket! But that doesn't happen often enough.

I can understand, to a point, about leaving it on the trail and coming back later to remove it (and I'm sure some folks actually do clean-up), but to bag it and toss it well off the trail???
Old 11-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Like I saw when I was a caretaker, an elderly couple made it in the 1.8 miles from the road, in loafers, carrying a cloth grocery bag with a bottle of water in it, asking me "Are you with the service?"

I had a hard time getting out of them "what service exactly would that be?"
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
Terasec

i clean up and pick up alot of other peoples trash from trail heads and trails
fortunately never encountered this, hope i never will
personally dont know how i would react if i did see it, probably accuse every dog owner coming and going
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Banjoe

A couple observations from an urban forest: The municipality installed a station with a trashcan and "degradable" bags. People take this as a signal that if the dog goes along the trail they can bag it, and rather than carry it out, toss it into the bushes where it inevitably gets hung up and stays for about a year.
When people are encountered with off-leash dogs (clearly illegal by local codes) and they are asked to leash their dogs, they first say it's OK because the dog is friendly, and then when it's explained that is not the issue they get indignant.
And yes, lots of people bag it and think they are going to get it on the way back but either forget or don't come back to that spot.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoe View Post
When people are encountered with off-leash dogs (clearly illegal by local codes) and they are asked to leash their dogs, they first say it's OK because the dog is friendly, and then when it's explained that is not the issue they get indignant..
Yeah, I hate that. I'm not a fan of unleashed dogs, especially big ones. I pulled my bear spray out once because I was being growled at, and the owner was like, "no, no, he's friendly!" WTF. I haven't found any bagged poop yet, though. Knock on wood..
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
bethfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Yeah, I hate that. I'm not a fan of unleashed dogs, especially big ones. I pulled my bear spray out once because I was being growled at, and the owner was like, "no, no, he's friendly!" WTF...
Agreed about the unleashed dogs to a point. We are BIG dog fans, however do not own one at the present. We believe that as long as you can control your dog for certain, regardless of situation, without a leash than it is fine to be off leash(where allowed). However, if you can not control your dog then they should be leashed regardless of how "friendly" they may be.
Just because we are big lovers of dogs does not mean we enjoy "your" dogs muddy paws up on our shoulders! All the time the owner is saying..."that's ok, he's friendly".

The husband was 2 days post-op from hernia surgery and we were walking in the local woods(not Adirondacks) & a golden comes from out of no where full speed and jumps on him so excited just love him to death!! I thought my husband was going to cry! The owner a good 200' away on their smart phone unaware until they heard me yelling at the dog while we had him by the collar so he couldn't continue to jump. Now we are the "bad guys" being mean to a "friendly dog".

Yes...way too much poop in bags everywhere we go!! We believe it is part of the entitled generation. I am suspecting it's the same folks who leave the campsite a mess and snapple bottles along the shoulder of the road. If they aren't going to dispose of the poop properly then just kick it off the trail...at least it will decompose rather than preserving it in plastic forever!!!

What happened to the days people just acted more responsibly? This is why we keep sacrificing liberties in favor of more rules and regulations....and we still have poop hanging in the trees!
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #9
Bounder45

Are people seriously bagging their dogs' poop while out on hikes and camping trips?

So long as the business is done off the trail, there shouldn't be a problem.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

I've noticed that some dogs are pretty choosy about where they take care of their business, and won't do it where people walk. My dog Jenny included, will often seek out a spot a few yards off the trail, although not always far enough off-trail. That's when I'll stop and use 2 or 3 sticks to remove & bury her droppings a little further off the trail. We usually don't hike where there's lots of other hikers, so bagging (for us) is usually not really necessary IMHO.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #12
yellowcanoe

No current dog but the last one was picky and never went on a trail.
Always off in the woods.. Sometimes it took much searching to find the perfect spot.. Candidate spots 1 and 2 looked like the selected spot 3 to me, but I have no understanding of poop selection criteria.

I never bagged. She would go on the trail when it was hard packed rather than wallow in feet of snow off trail, but balling it up and throwing into the woods not a problem.

I don't understand bagging and leaving it at a trailhead.. Are lunch bags and soda bottles in that unsavory pile.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #13
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
No current dog but the last one was picky and never went on a trail.
Always off in the woods.. Sometimes it took much searching to find the perfect spot.. Candidate spots 1 and 2 looked like the selected spot 3 to me, but I have no understanding of poop selection criteria.
I recall reading an article once (in Reader's Digest I think) about some people studying dogs' selection of 'pooing spot'. Apparently they catalogued thousands of dogs pooping tens of thousands of times and found that there seemed to be some correlation between the magnetic poles and the spot and direction a dog chose and faced when it went. It was not full proof by any means, but supposedly they thought it was enough of a factor for them to consider it somehow significant in why a dog did what he did. I have no idea if it's true (RD isn't exactly a respected journal of science) and haven't noticed my dogs all facing north or anything , but I always found it interesting.

Sorry, all, for thread drift but I guess if you're going to drift at least make it interesting.

As for the bags on trees, I've yet to noticed that in the Adks and I hope it stays that way.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 12-01-2016 at 02:00 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:25 AM   #14
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Are people seriously bagging their dogs' poop while out on hikes and camping trips?

So long as the business is done off the trail, there shouldn't be a problem.
I haven't seen anyone bag & remove on a hike, but do see people bagging & removing when in the local park.

Just letting your dog go off the trail is a potential problem. Dog are the #1 spreader of Giardia and don't know where they're going is near water or not.

Last edited by dundee; 12-01-2016 at 09:54 AM..
Old 12-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've also suspected that a fair amount of the poop I've seen in or near campsites (or on trails, for that matter) over the years has been dog poop. It wouldn't at all surprise me if dog owners are either just not caring enough to clean it up, or aren't paying enough attention to their dogs to know that they're relieving themselves in close proximity to the campsite.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Just letting your dog go off the trail is a potential problem. Dog are the #! spreader of Giardia and don't know where they're going is near water or not.
Agreed...Letting your dog go to the bathroom in or near a water source is just as irresponsible as letting your dog run free to harass strangers & other dogs on the trail.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #17
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I've also suspected that a fair amount of the poop I've seen in or near campsites (or on trails, for that matter) over the years has been dog poop. It wouldn't at all surprise me if dog owners are either just not caring enough to clean it up, or aren't paying enough attention to their dogs to know that they're relieving themselves in close proximity to the campsite.
In that case, there must be a lot of dogs using TP.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #18
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
In that case, there must be a lot of dogs using TP.
Well, obviously when TP is involved there's no question as to who the culprit is. I've no doubt that humans are causing the majority of the problem. But I think dogs are a significant contributor themselves.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #19
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

"city folk" think, "hey its the wilderness, my dog is secretly a wolf because I read Call of the Wild once".

Probably an oversimplification, but I don't think I'm far off. For someone who doesn't get out much, and maybe does a big weekend trip to the ADK as a special treat, it's probably the emotional equivalent to Disney World - people are so far off the map from where they are normally, they apply what knowledge they have, incorrectly, not out of malice or laziness really, just ignorance.

My other favorites:
Orange peels biodegrade.
Tinfoil burns.
Pistachio nuts are ok to dump in the firepit.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #20
oldladymac
future hermit

Personally i don't see the difference between dog poop and human poop, either bag it and pack it all the way out or bury it. The mindset that off trail is ok to leave it, is mindblowing to me, I don't want to smell it or step in it, on or off the trail. Caveat; I am a dog owner & lover but adhere to the restrictions and just a general "be a good human" way of life.

Off leash dogs shows a selfish owner in my opinon, and are probably lax in other aspects of dog ownership (see above) no respect for the greater good. When my daughter was young she had a run in with a big lab which left her scared of big dogs for a long time. No matter how friendly you insist your dog is, fear is not logical and you not adhereing to the rules just ruined her day in a big way. Also clapping and yelling your dog's name to come untill you catch up with him is NOT being in control of your dog.

If you want to run your dog off leash than stay off maintained trails w/ leash restrictions and learn to bushwack.

OLM