Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
SchumacherCTT2012

Loj Quest

Hello all,
I had a couple of very basic questions that I'm hoping someone more competent and experienced than myself can answer.

1. What is the nearest free campsite from the Loj? From my understanding, one can rent a campsite at the Loj, but I'm really trying to minimize costs.

2. What peaks are reasonable accessible from the Loj? I apologize for the ignorance of this question, but it anyone happened to have a list of the peaks with trails leading from the Loj or Loj-accessible peaks, I would really appreciate it.

-Sam
SchumacherCTT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Trail Boss

Closest free camping is on South Meadows Road. There are several designated campsites, notably at the eastern end of this dead-end road.

I don't know what's your definition of reasonable but you can access at least 14 of the 46 Four Thousand Footers from the Loj.

Go to Caltopo.com, select the MapBuilder layer, and search for Adirondak Loj. That'll show you a map of the peaks and the trails. I also suggest you buy the Adirondack Mountain Club's High Peaks guidebook.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
RealLyte

I can second the guidebook, excellent resource.
RealLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #4
SchumacherCTT2012

Appreciate the responses! I'm away at school right now, and I think I left my guidebook at home. Hopefully the parentals can find it and send it up.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
tenderfoot

Also, note that the Loj has two rates for its tent and lean to sites. During the colder months they are $20 a night rather than $40. We are coming from Rochester - 5-6 hours away. So every time we try a peak it is one or two overnights. We've taken advantage of a few free sites but also enjoy a reserved lean to occasionally plus the indoor plumbing at the Loj's wilderness campground.

Plus - if you are away at school grab some buddies! Camping at the Loj is a nice soft intro to wilderness camping.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
SchumacherCTT2012

Tenderfoot, thanks for the advice. I'm headed up sometime this summer, so I expect the rates will still be around $40. I'm just trying to get rid of expenses where I can, so I expect I'll be taking advantage of the free campsites at the end of South Meadows Road, if not just pitching a hammock between some trees somewhere along the trail.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #7
tenderfoot

Yes - that is a big reason why we switched to hammocks. Less trouble finding a spot. For designated spots there is a 50' rule - away from trail, road or water. But that does not interfere finding a nice spot.

We find that on nice weekends a lot of the designated spots and lean-tos get crowded. Happy trails!