Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Nice 'beginner' hike, maybe on western side?

So this is a new one for me. I'm more of a aspiring 46er and stick to the HPs. But am hoping to take a friend hiking as soon as we have a chance when summer comes around. I'm not sure how soon (of course the first part of summer brings the dreaded black flies!!!). I have a week off last week of May/beginning June, and then 2 weekends in June off. Probably end up in the thick of black flies.

But anyhow, she is not a strong hiker but loves the outdoors and has spent some time in the Adirondacks and hiked I think maybe one of the small mountains or two. I really want to do something like Cascade and Porter but I want to do an easier hike first, maybe something closer to home - we'll be coming from between Watertown and Syracuse. I know the prefect trail probably doesn't exist of course, but is there anything on the western side that offers a beautiful hike with nice views? Doesn't have to be a mountain but a little elevation gain and some up high views would be nice too but not required.

I'll be looking in the HP's as well, but thought for a first hike-date something we could do without getting up before the crack of dawn and still have time to have a dinner at a restaurant and also be back home that evening to the shores of our great lake would be nice. Probably slim pickings I know, but figured if anyone knows it'll be the experts here. As an alternate might go on a paddle first, or in addition too.

35/46 get'n closer
18/46 barefoot
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
Wldrns

Grab one of the western Adirondack books in the series of Discover the Adirondacks:
http://hiketheadirondacks.com/pages/...ondacks_Series

Something in the Black River Wild Forest, perhaps a hike to beautiful Gull Lake, or in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness to Middle Settlement Lake, or the many trails to lakes and ponds in the Pigeon Lake Wilderness. The Five Ponds Wilderness north of Stillwater Reservoir offers some excellent hiking as well.

Gull Reflections:

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-18-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Justin

How about Bald Mountain (AKA Rondax Mtn) near Old Forge, or Rocky Mtn and/or Black Bear Mtn near Eagle Bay... or for something a little longer & a bit more remote maybe try Cat Mountain from Wanakena...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Wldrns

If you go before 24 June, you can access the Cedarlands Easement Property, before it closes for the summer season. Former BSA property now open to the public and rather remote once in there. Even though no longer an occupied BSA camp, the restrictions on dates of access still apply. Still on the western side of the Adirondacks, but closer to the HP. Great views from the 2 mountain peaks easily climbed. Tent sites have been recently established, so they are still rather pristine and not overly abused (yet).
http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/108144.html

View from Mud Pond Mtn, (formerly Scout "OA" Mountain):
Old 03-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

Echo Cliffs and Goodluck Cliffs are both short hikes up small mtns w/ nice views...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
gorpot

Another possibility would be the new Stillwater fire tower, only opened up last year. One mile hike with some nice views. Depends on where you are coming from. If you were coming from Watertown area, Stillwater would be closer then Old Forge. If you are leaving closer to Syracuse, then As Justin suggested places up by Old Forge, such as Bald Mt, Rocky Mt, or Black Bear Mt. would be better.
gorpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
Wldrns

Castle Rock, near Blue Mountain. A good excuse to visit the Adirondack Museum at the same time. Or climb Blue Mountain itself.

http://cnyhiking.com/CastleRock.htm

http://www.adkmuseum.org
Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
peskypup

Goodman Mt, just outside Tupper Lake.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #9
WBB

Add Coney and Arab and go for the trifecta. http://www.tupperlaketriad.com/

Three easy hikes that each offer something different. Coney has 360 degree views, Arab a restored fire tower, Goodman some interesting history linking the Adirondacks to bigger events. All three can be done in a day without much difficulty.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:26 AM   #10
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Well I typed up a reply earlier but it seems to have vanished. I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, it'll take me a bit to research them in a little more detail.

35/46 get'n closer
18/46 barefoot
Old 03-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Well scratch that, unfortunately the whole long distance relationship wasn't as feasible as I thought. why oh why did I ever leave NY. Sad thing is I plan to go back, just can't for several years yet. But who knows, I'll do some researching just in case she warms back up. If not, back to the HP's for my next trip!

I have visited a couple of the suggestions above, but some of the others do look worth checking out for a shorter trip. Thanks again everyone.

35/46 get'n closer
18/46 barefoot