Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2016, 12:12 PM   #1
ADKJoe

8th Lake

Would anyone know if I can still access the boat launch at 8th lake this coming weekend.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

Never been up there this time of year, but I have in the winter, and the gate is open (for snowmobile access).

Worse comes to worse you can always get on 7th lake and carry through the campground, but I doubt that will be necessary.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Worst case scenario you could access the lake directly from 28. There is some parking on the side of the road. It's pretty steep but only a short distance down to the lake.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #4
Wldrns

We've had SAR training in there during the winter after the campground is closed, and the gate was open.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
ADKJoe

8th Lake

Thank you for your input. If I do wind up coming north on Sunday I'll definitely check it out. Weather isn't looking to promising right now.

Joe
Old 11-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #6
Jon C

The gate to the campsite is open year round. All DEC campsites are available for use between Columbus Day and Memorial Day with no staff or amenities.
Jon C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon C View Post
The gate to the campsite is open year round. All DEC campsites are available for use between Columbus Day and Memorial Day with no staff or amenities.
This isn't true of all of them. A few campgrounds are open to camping in the off season but many of them are not. And in some campgrounds only certain sites are available for use in the off season. It's definitely a good idea to contact the DEC directly before using any of the campgrounds when they are closed (beyond just passing through to access interior hiking trails).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
Edb 46 er

Not to barge in on this but while the subject is relevant, is Cranberry Lake campground open to the public during the off-season?
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
Not to barge in on this but while the subject is relevant, is Cranberry Lake campground open to the public during the off-season?
Contact the DEC. It varies from campground to campground (and possibly from year to year).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
Edb 46 er

Thanks DSettahr. What is the correct pronunciation of your avatar or name? Is it D as in David followed by Settahr?
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote