Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #1
Dave Bourque

Canoe Carts

I'm looking for any advice on canoe carts. I ready to purchase one. I'm looking for something that is rugged so it can take a beating and handle heavy loads. I'm willing to spend more money to get a quality product. I've been searching on-line to find there are numerous choices - many of which seem very similar. Is there a cart out there that is clearly better than the rest? Thanks.
Dave Bourque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Justin

Hi Dave,
If you try a search for Canoe Carts, you may find some helpful info.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Ydnabronn

Just bought one from Malone (Think it was the clipper deluxe) and am happy with the purchase. I used it with a 16 foot Old Towne Camper and a decent amount of gear for 2 people. Affordable, easy to assemble and disassemble.

Whatever you decide I would suggest 2 straps (most come with one) unloading the gear before placing on the cart and then reloading when on the cart.
Ydnabronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Bob K

Strong second recommendation for two straps for canoe cart. One loops around both sides of front of cart - with strap looped around a more forward thwart. The second similarly arranged but strapped thru a rear point. When tight, this prevents the cart from twisting sideways as well as front/back. A bungy cord can also be used to keep the straps tight during use.

When walking, cart near center OK. When trailering, shift cart more to rear. Weight in boat not ideal so carry heavier items in pack and check balance (tongue weight).
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
electbc
Outdoorsman

Dave, Here are some ideas and reviews. I have used the seattle sports/LL Bean cart only once, I like it. . http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/...tage-cart-help

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/...ng-cart-design
http://linder.se/en/products/canoe-a...rt-collapsible
And member Banoe's cart. http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=22950
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #6
RichieC

The Seattle sports one is the only one for ADK trails IMHO. Roots, rocks, steps, gullies, creeks, sideways portions, logs, etc. etc. That being said- no cart will go everywhere- but this one will go the most. It is not light weight... but is just about bullet proof and we have put it through the paces over the many years, and overloaded it most every time. Simply too tempting in the parking lot.. To see the correct load on a canoe cart- look at Justin's Boreas trip (https://youtu.be/nT9PmDcC7wY).... I have been unable to pack this way- proves he's smarter...

They will all (any cart) work on a road or smooth trail. But this one will go more places the others simply can't - maybe not sand- wider wheels would be better there. I suppose it depends on where you will use it.

I will say that the thing that most often happens is the cart getting twisted underneath boat under a load when a sudden obstacle stops one side or the other- then the leverage of the length of the canoe twists it, Major PITA. We have a Kevlar boat, so cinching it too tight in the middle is not a good idea. So i took some bulk light webbing, ( little stretch) attach it to corresponding corner of cart and run it up either side of canoe, through handle and make a loop- we pull on the loop and thus, you are pulling on cart and not just the canoe, canoe is along for the ride - i do the two strap thing in the middle as well- just not too tight. Of course when permitted, we can also hold onto canoe ( Or guideboat) . Going up-hill or very rough areas, we will find a stick, run it through front loop and make like a team of (ugly) mules, with stick across our hips... you walk straight ahead, with backpacks on... you thus avoid the constant twisting of your back...

Finally the Seattle sports cart is lacking in the area that comes in contact with canoe- that part is not a great design, rest of the cart is. It can collapse under load, so I really retro fixed that too. I shortened it height-wise, drilled a second hole and put a second bolt through and made some flat pads out of thin plywood- U-bolted to the pipes... about 8" wide and glued a cushion made from an old closed cell pad, to spread out the contact area, as the Kevlar creaked awfully with just the narrow pipe with foam cushion, and I prefer to spread out the load in the delicate wood of the guide boat as well. Maybe overkill- but a multi $G guide boat or Kevlar boat demands some careful consideration- but then we don't run em up on the rocks when landing either ( They get scratched enough on their own LOL) .

Finally- whatever you get, check bearing races- mine came loose- which I didn't spot till halfway to Fish Ponds. Luckily i had a multi tool. . Bearings didn't fall out, but could have. Home, I re-packed with waterproof bike grease and counter-tightened correctly- good forever now I expect.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote