Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
terijohn
primitivecampers

Eagle Lake Access

Where is the closest access to Eagle Lake Lean-to.
terijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The closest (and only) access is a boat launch on the south side of Rt 74, on the west end of the lake. The attached parking lot frequently fills up on summer weekends, but there is additional overflow parking across the road. The boat launch is located approximately here.

Super important: Your boat needs to be able to fit through the culvert under Rt 74 to get out onto the main body of Eagle Lake. I'm not sure of the exact clearance off the top of my head, but it is pretty limiting. Canoes and small boats with outboard motors can make it through the culvert just fine, but any sort of larger, "designer" boat isn't going to fit.

There's 2 or 3 designated tent sites in addition to the lean-to, all located in the same general spot at Crown Point Bay on the east end of the lake. Note that the beach and attached picnic area are day use only- the tent sites and lean-to are set back a bit from the lake. The lean-to is nice; it is situated in a stand of pines and is set back from the water a bit further than even the tent sites (and accordingly, seems to get even less use than the tent sites do). The tent sites are also nice.

You should also be aware that the Crown Point Bay area has a reputation for being a bit of a party spot on nice summer weekends. I don't think the area typically gets too crazy (usually), but I also wouldn't expect much solitude on any nice weekend in July or August especially. If you are planning a overnight trip for a summer weekend, I'd definitely try to arrive as early on Friday as possible to avoid showing up late only to find all of the sites taken.

I also have an album of photos from a 1 night trip I took there a few years ago that you may also find helpful: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cZ8UCHBPHm1rfXtNA

Interesting fun fact: Out of all lean-tos in the Adirondack Park, the Eagle Lake Lean-to is the lowest in elevation.

Last edited by DSettahr; 04-20-2019 at 08:28 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Iíve seen vehicles parked (ice fishermen mostly) right on the shoulder near the causeway.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
terijohn
primitivecampers

Thank you! There used to me a road that got you fairly close to the Crown Point Bay. I wasn't sure if that was still accessible.
terijohn is offline   Reply With Quote