Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Eddie Fournier

Lower/Upper Wolfjaw & Armstrong 11/8

Trail conditions: ice above 3500’, only ½’’ snow (and only at higher elevations), a lot of leaves at lower elevation (but helps a lot with the mud)

Quiet and beautiful day in the mountains. Did not see a single person nor footprint all day. My car was first and last to leave the AMR parking, although I saw in the register that about 5 other persons had signed in during the day for shorter trips.

My only objective today was to get out there and enjoy the scenery, as I was not able to truly assess trail conditions before heading out. My initial destination was Lower Wolfjaw. Forecasts were good up until the day before, when it suddenly appeared that the summits would be “obscured in clouds” or “OB” as Mountain Point Forecasts says. Bummer, but I couldn’t readily change my day off.

Started from the parking at 6:45 and was soon greeted by a rafter of turkeys and 5 minutes later by a herd of deer lounging near the tennis courts of the Ausable Club. Lake Road is a dirt road that follows a stream. You then take a foot bridge and follow part of the West River trail (following the Ausable river) until Wedge Brook trail, which follows yet another stream. The first 1.2 miles of that trail ascends on an easy to moderate grade in a deciduous forest. I then got to a designated camping spot that offers a partial view of LWJ – seems like a nice place to camp.

At this place, the trail veers 90o west and this is where you should switch your walking legs with your climbing legs if you have them. The ice only started to be a problem after the final junction towards LWJ. Crampons did the job and remained on for most of the day as I found them useful for not slipping on leaves going down. Ice was melting, which made for complicated footing on rocks since the ice would sometimes detach when stepped on. Quite a bit of “snowballing” too – I’ll see if I can put wax or silicone on my crampon plates to solve this. This if for those who think there is no view on LWJ:

Going down towards UWJ also gives you fantastic views towards Dix and Nippletop, which partially compensates for a great deal of elevation loss. Col between wolfjaws is quite deep, certainly more than I expected, but I was still feeling great. This picture of LWJ taken while going up UWJ gives you the idea:

Going up UWJ proved to be a challenge and although I made every effort to stay on the trail, the lack of handholds (because of ice) meant I had to bushwack once around the trail. If LWJ difficulty rating is 7/10 (just putting a number out there), then UWJ is definitely a 9/10. Here’s an interesting portion:

It was only 11:30, so I had plenty of daylight left to head on to Armstrong and make a loop out of it. I had read some TR commenting on the difficulty of Armstrong’s North ascent, but I was not relishing going back down the way I had came. Game on!

Going down UWJ was done in short order. Going up Armstrong involved much of the same as going up UWJ, but for a much shorter duration. While both wolfjaws summits are essential a rock, Armstrong’s has a nice ledge (which I dared not look down).

I force-fed myself a sandwich and continued. It was 1:05 when I got to the junction with Beaver Meadow trail. Sign says it's only 0.4 miles to Gothics and this is she taunting me:

But I had 5.4 miles yet to go and though I had the motivation and energy, I felt I did not have enough daylight remaining. See you soon, Gothics!

I found the 1st mile of Beaver Meadow trail simply brutal. First off, you’re actually going up for a while (with ladders, even). And then, there is a lot of vertical rock surfaces and rock scrambling. I was progressing very slowly. Fortunately, things eased off after maybe 90 minutes of that, and it was back to serene forest trekking. Beaver Meadow fall was the prize for travelling this trail:

I took the shortest way towards Lake Road and was back at my car at 4:30, but not before being greeted this time by both turkeys and deer grazing together under Mount Giant's protective watch.

Last edited by Eddie Fournier; 11-10-2018 at 09:02 AM..
Eddie Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Fournier View Post
Trail conditions: ice above 3500’, only ½’’ snow (and only at higher elevations), a lot of leaves at lower elevation (but helps a lot with the mud)

Quiet and beautiful day in the mountains. Did not see a single person nor footprint all day. My car was first and last to leave the AMR parking, although I saw in the register that about 5 other persons had signed in during the day for shorter trips.

My only objective today was to get out there and enjoy the scenery, as I was not able to truly assess trail conditions before heading out. My initial destination was Lower Wolfjaw. Forecasts were good up until the day before, when it suddenly appeared that the summits would be “obscured in clouds” or “OB” as Mountain Point Forecasts says. Bummer, but I couldn’t readily change my day off.

Started from the parking at 6:45 and was soon greeted by a rafter of turkeys and 5 minutes later by a herd of deer lounging near the tennis courts of the Ausable Club. Lake Road is a dirt road that follows a stream. You then take a foot bridge and follow part of the West River trail (following the Ausable river) until Wedge Brook trail, which follows yet another stream. The first 1.2 miles of that trail ascends on an easy to moderate grade in a deciduous forest. I then got to a designated camping spot that offers a partial view of LWJ – seems like a nice place to camp.

At this place, the trail veers 90o west and this is where you should switch your walking legs with your climbing legs if you have them. The ice only started to be a problem after the final junction towards LWJ. Crampons did the job and remained on for most of the day as I found them useful for not slipping on leaves going down. Ice was melting, which made for complicated footing on rocks since the ice would sometimes detach when stepped on. Quite a bit of “snowballing” too – I’ll see if I can put wax or silicone on my crampon plates to solve this. This if for those who think there is no view on LWJ:

Going down towards UWJ also gives you fantastic views towards Dix and Nippletop, which partially compensates for a great deal of elevation loss. Col between wolfjaws is quite deep, certainly more than I expected, but I was still feeling great. This picture of LWJ taken while going up UWJ gives you the idea:

Going up UWJ proved to be a challenge and although I made every effort to stay on the trail, the lack of handholds (because of ice) meant I had to bushwack once around the trail. If LWJ difficulty rating is 7/10 (just putting a number out there), then UWJ is definitely a 9/10. Here’s an interesting portion:

It was only 11:30, so I had plenty of daylight left to head on to Armstrong and make a loop out of it. I had read some TR commenting on the difficulty of Armstrong’s North ascent, but I was not relishing going back down the way I had came. Game on!

Going down UWJ was done in short order. Going up Armstrong involved much of the same as going upp UWJ, but for a much shorter duration. While both wolfjaws summits are essential a rock, Armstrong’s has a nice ledge (which I dared not look down). I force-fed myself a sandwich and continued. It was 1:05 when I got to the junction with Beaver Meadow trail. Sign says it's only 0.4 miles to Gothics and this is she taunting me:

But I had 5.4 miles yet to go and though I had the motivation and energy, I felt I did not have enough daylight remaining. See you soon, Gothics!

I found the 1st mile of Beaver Meadow trail simply brutal. First off, you’re actually going up for a while (with ladders, even). And then, there is a lot of vertical rock surfaces and rock scrambling. I was progressing very slowly. Fortunately, things eased off after maybe 90 minutes of that, and it was back to serene forest trekking. Beaver Meadow fall was the prize for travelling this trail:

I took the shortest way towards Lake Road and was back at my car at 4:30, but not before being greeted this time by both turkeys and deer grazing together under Mount Giant's protective watch.

Nice- did this loop 2x summer of 2017 with my kids...great views, good but not overwhelming challenge.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
tenderfoot

Winter before last we hiked into Johns Brook, did Gothics, Armstrong, UWJ but left LWJ dangling. Running out of daylight and were moving sort of slow. So LWJ is still on our list. Actually, we have an amazing list of peaks we just were oh-so-close to but omitted. Personally, I do not have a problem with this - I like hiking so maybe it is my subconscious. Anyways - same ridge but we started from other direction.

A really big thank you! I was unaware of the designated campsite on the Wedgebrook trail. We drive in from 6 hours and camp out. A site 3m in, even with a bit of elevation, is great. I had thought the only options close to AMR's Lake Road were the Gil Brook sites at the end (great sites) or Roaring Brook across the street at the beginning. I may be using that soon.

Yes, force feeding ones self on the trail. I am still looking for a better way for that. Especially in cool weather.

Thank you for the trip report.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #4
Eddie Fournier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Winter before last we hiked into Johns Brook, did Gothics, Armstrong, UWJ but left LWJ dangling. Running out of daylight and were moving sort of slow. So LWJ is still on our list. Actually, we have an amazing list of peaks we just were oh-so-close to but omitted. Personally, I do not have a problem with this - I like hiking so maybe it is my subconscious. Anyways - same ridge but we started from other direction.

A really big thank you! I was unaware of the designated campsite on the Wedgebrook trail. We drive in from 6 hours and camp out. A site 3m in, even with a bit of elevation, is great. I had thought the only options close to AMR's Lake Road were the Gil Brook sites at the end (great sites) or Roaring Brook across the street at the beginning. I may be using that soon.

Yes, force feeding ones self on the trail. I am still looking for a better way for that. Especially in cool weather.

Thank you for the trip report.
Actually, I even took a picture of the campsite:
Eddie Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
tenderfoot

Perfect! That is great. Nice hammock trees.

Thanks again
Old 11-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
real3175

Great report, I know a lot of people are wondering about HP conditions this time of year.

Tenderfoot - here are some more photos of the Wedgebrook campsite. I've never stayed there but also never knew it was there so snapped a few photos this past summer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_photo_nov_11_10_57_26_am.jpg (47.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_photo_nov_11_10_57_34_am.jpg (39.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_photo_nov_11_10_57_41_am.jpg (37.7 KB, 56 views)
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
tenderfoot

Thanks Real!