Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
Rachel11

Question 2 day Hikes in Adirondacks

Hi newbie here... although I've been lurking and reading a lot of posts trying to get as much info as I can.

Looking for a 2 day hike I can do with my daughter next summer. She will be almost 8 and we will also have our German shorthaired pointer with us (who will also have her own pack). Could even stretch it to 2 nights/3 days...

I am experienced with car camping and we have done some day hikes up to 4km (notably sections of Bruce Trail, Ont & West Coast Trail, BC).

We are looking to attempt our first overnight hike. I am quite active (triathlons/marathons) and my daughter also does 1km races and walks extensively. We will do some spring day hikes longer than 4km prior to our overnight trip (June/July hopefully). (the only reason we haven't done longer hikes is we hike as a family and I have a 4 yr old son - so we limited last summer to 4km for him)

I do not mind if the 2 day hike is a hike in, spend the night and a hike out - does not need to have a loop. I have read the rules/regulations extensively as I am a BIG rule follower. From what I can gather if we cannot find a designated campsite we can camp anywhere that is more than 150m from trail/water sources etc. and below 3500 ft? I have experience camping in bear territory and practicing LNT methods.

Years ago I used to go to Cranberry Lake & Meacham Lake and we would also day hike Debar. But I have not been back to the Adirondacks in years. I did make note of the guide books that have been recommended in some of the other posts.

The 3 brothers and big slide seemed interesting if I can camp out somewhere on the trail....

Thanks everyone??!!!
Rachel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
Terasec

/TI00000745.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel11 View Post
Hi newbie here... although I've been lurking and reading a lot of posts trying to get as much info as I can.

Looking for a 2 day hike I can do with my daughter next summer. She will be almost 8 and we will also have our German shorthaired pointer with us (who will also have her own pack). Could even stretch it to 2 nights/3 days...

I am experienced with car camping and we have done some day hikes up to 4km (notably sections of Bruce Trail, Ont & West Coast Trail, BC).

We are looking to attempt our first overnight hike. I am quite active (triathlons/marathons) and my daughter also does 1km races and walks extensively. We will do some spring day hikes longer than 4km prior to our overnight trip (June/July hopefully). (the only reason we haven't done longer hikes is we hike as a family and I have a 4 yr old son - so we limited last summer to 4km for him)

I do not mind if the 2 day hike is a hike in, spend the night and a hike out - does not need to have a loop. I have read the rules/regulations extensively as I am a BIG rule follower. From what I can gather if we cannot find a designated campsite we can camp anywhere that is more than 150m from trail/water sources etc. and below 3500 ft? I have experience camping in bear territory and practicing LNT methods.

Years ago I used to go to Cranberry Lake & Meacham Lake and we would also day hike Debar. But I have not been back to the Adirondacks in years. I did make note of the guide books that have been recommended in some of the other posts.

The 3 brothers and big slide seemed interesting if I can camp out somewhere on the trail....

Thanks everyone??!!!
there are many many places in ADK that would suit what your looking for,
1 place in mind is panther pond, off of number 4 road,
parking area is about 2-3 mile drive from main road,
so from the start its secluded area,
near parking area is 3-5 or so drive in camping areas, with pit and table,
1 mile from the parking area/trailhead is leanto on the lake with an outhouse,
that would make for good spot,
only warning is panther pond is a dead lake due to acid rain, so not a place if anyone wants to go fishing,
from there, there is a hiking trail that goes for miles,
i also highly recommend national geographic trail maps of the region
they are quite good with details on leanto and campsites
http://images.natgeomaps.com/PROD_ZOOM/TI00000745.html
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
rdl

One option near the Brothers and Big Slide is to rent a lean-to at Johns Brook Lodge. We did that for several years when my kids were little.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
tenderfoot

Looks like you have done your homework, and are going to have a great time.

One tip about camping off trail - in high peaks it can be difficult to find a flat spot suitable for a tent. So "Plan A" should be a designated campsite or lean to; with "Plan B" as the tent - but start looking for a suitable spot. Not as much of a problem when you have long summer days.

The spot mentioned above sounds great.

This is one reason why I enjoy hammock camping. No shortage of trees up there and flat spot not required.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
tenderfoot

Last edited by tenderfoot; 12-28-2016 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: duplicate post - my apologies
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
Rachel11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
/TI00000745.html

there are many many places in ADK that would suit what your looking for,
1 place in mind is panther pond, off of number 4 road,
parking area is about 2-3 mile drive from main road,
so from the start its secluded area,
near parking area is 3-5 or so drive in camping areas, with pit and table,
1 mile from the parking area/trailhead is leanto on the lake with an outhouse,
that would make for good spot,
only warning is panther pond is a dead lake due to acid rain, so not a place if anyone wants to go fishing,
from there, there is a hiking trail that goes for miles,
i also highly recommend national geographic trail maps of the region
they are quite good with details on leanto and campsites
http://images.natgeomaps.com/PROD_ZOOM/TI00000745.html
This sounds interesting and I will definitely take a look!! Thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Rachel11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
One option near the Brothers and Big Slide is to rent a lean-to at Johns Brook Lodge. We did that for several years when my kids were little.
This is something I have considered after reading many different posts. i do sort of really want to camp out in the wilderness though, but I haven't ruled this option out!!!
Old 12-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
Rachel11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
Looks like you have done your homework, and are going to have a great time.

One tip about camping off trail - in high peaks it can be difficult to find a flat spot suitable for a tent. So "Plan A" should be a designated campsite or lean to; with "Plan B" as the tent - but start looking for a suitable spot. Not as much of a problem when you have long summer days.

The spot mentioned above sounds great.

This is one reason why I enjoy hammock camping. No shortage of trees up there and flat spot not required.
I have to say I am quite intrigued by hammock camping and could even invest in one big enough for both my daughter and I (our total weight would be under 200lbs)... just not sure our dog would sleep comfortable tied underneath it.... she's good and will be done with advanced obedience by then but she is a rescue and we haven't gone through a summer with her yet. Of course now I will have to go lurk on hammock camping forums lol.

Last edited by Rachel11; 12-27-2016 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: forgot to add
Old 12-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #9
tenderfoot

Yes, check out hammock camping forum. Three quick tips:
  1. Although they sell 'double' hammocks usually they are talking layers. Two people in one hammock may not work out well. I have a splitter bar that allows me to hang right next to my daughter. 'Reach out and touch me' close.
  2. Get a large hammock (11' long). Some of the ones you see in box store are 9' and IMHO not as comfortable. You can get a quality one for less than $50 (before suspension). The idea is to lay diagonal, not have to sleep like a banana.
  3. Do not camp with a hammock without under insulation. Even in summer it can be a bit chilly with that breeze blowing under you. Some get by with pads but I love my 3/4 under quilt.

We were last out Columbus Day. Temps in low 40's I believe. We are trying to schedule a trip for New Years Day - will see how that works.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It sounds like you're generally well prepared. The big thing to keep in mind are the specific regulations for the High Peaks. In particular, heed the bear canister requirements as well as the fire ban for the eastern High Peaks specifically. Both regulations have become necessary as a result of high levels of impact generated by years of use (and abuse) by large numbers of visitors to the area.

The JBL lean-tos may be a fee campground, but they are definitely "roughing it" just as much as any other backcountry site. The nice thing about these lean-tos is that you're guaranteed use of them by making a reservation, so there's no worrying about having to get there early in the weekend. You're also guaranteed to have the lean-to to yourself (public lean-tos on state land must be shared up to the capacity of the lean-to).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #11
rachelsdad

If you're not wedded to the High Peaks may I suggest Chimney Mt/Puffer Pond?? Pretty area, 2 sweet lean to's and Chimney is a pretty neat geological formation.

For nostalgias sake: The area around Cranberry has some great hikes to some pretty mountain tops as well: Cat and Bear
Old 04-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
Vinegar

Kind of late to the party here but hope it helps.

Entirely different area, but if you're willing to visit the Catskills, Echo Lake is a great spot with an easy hike in if you go from Platte Clove. Very flat ~4 mile hike into Echo Lake with the exception of the short downhill to the lake itself. Some interesting bluestone quarries on the way with views. Several designated sites around the lake plus a leanto. You can add the short hike up to the Overlook fire tower and hotel ruins either after setting up camp or the next morning before packing out.
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote