Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
TWStowell

Snowshoeing with my 7 year old daughter

I am looking for some fun day or weekend trips to take with my wife and daughter. I have snowshoed for several years and am getting my daughter into it soon. I am looking for suggestions for the southern Adirondack area but we aren't afraid to travel either. Thank you in advance any and all tips and information is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Tick Magnet

When I was getting my kids into snowshoeing, I always started out short and flat. Our first trips were in town parks and local nature preserves. Once they got the hang of walking on shoes, we moved up to some more challenging trails.

When snowshoeing in the ADKs, they always liked snowshoeing into a lean-to. It gave them a destination, a turn around point and a dry place to park their butt while they had some hot cocoa. We stayed away from most mountains as they didn't like climbing on steep hills and I was always afraid of them slipping on the ice and crashing.

As for southern ADK suggestions:

1. Chase Lake--One of my favorite snowshoe hikes.

2. Holmes Lake--Not as good a view from L/T, but fun walk

3. Any small pond off Rt 10; 9-Corner, Broomstick, Good Luck, Jockeybush

4. Cod Pond--no L/T, but a nice short walk off Rt. 8

I hope this helps. I'm sure there are tons more good places and I'm sure some other folks will chime in. Bottom line, make sure the kids have a great time. Snowshoeing with kids is a hoot.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
TWStowell

Thank you so much!!! I'm sure we will hit up several of these!!! I greatly appreciate it!! Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-20-2016, 12:43 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Holmes Lake accessed by hiking in on a snowmobile trail, so I don't know that I would recommend that one with younger kids in the winter.

Chase Lake is nice, flat hike but it's 5 miles round trip to the lean-to. Depending on your daughter's ability level this could be just right or too much.

A few other suggestions:

The new trails in Moreau Lake State Park (just south of the Adirondacks) in the Lake Bonita area could work well. There's a new trailhead on Wilton Road on the southwest end of the park, with a trail that leads to Lake Bonita (maybe a half mile hike at most). There's a nice trail that continues through the woods around the east shore of Lake Bonita with some nice vantage points out over the lake.

There's a new section of the Northville-Placid Trail that accesses the east shore of Woods Lake in Benson.

County Line Lake (accessed from the same trailhead as Chase Lake) is a longer hike so this is a good one to save until your daughter is older. It's a nice hike though to an area of woods that feels very wild and remote, so definitely keep it in mind for the future.

If you're willing to drive up to Schroon Lake, Gull Pond in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area is a short and easy 0.5 mile hike to a very pretty little pond with good scenery, including a rocky shoreline.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
hookman33

Broomstick Lake -- 1.7 miles round trip to a beautiful little lake. The trailhead is about a mile north of Pine Lake on Rt. 10. I've hiked this on snow shoes with my grandchildren many times.