Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #21
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsdad View Post
hmmmm...When i was a child my mom always told me not to eat snow, "it's dirty".
Perhaps showing my age.....my mother said the same when I was young. I'm convinced it was in consideration to above ground nuclear bomb testing that in the US occurred until 1963. Reading up on this I see that China tested above ground until 1980. And if you look further you'll find in peer reviewed scientific journals where traces of plutonium are found in alpine ice cores taken in the European Alps that were very far from any blast test site.

The atmospheric nuclear affects persist for several years after a test. Nowadays it is said that it is not a problem

Lately I have no qualms eating snow

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #22
Wldrns

As a kid in the 50's and 60's, living in lake effect country whre we often had feet of fresh fluffy snow, eating "sugar on snow" (maple syrup) was a frequent and welcome treat.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:17 AM   #23
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

This thread provides ample evidence that cabin fever has set in early and hard this year. This does not bode well, as winter looks to be long and cruel. All this cooped up energy will find a release and we need to find a controlled, positive mechanism.

For our own benefit and in the name of science I suggest we do our own snow pollution study. Let's collect snowmelt from around the Adirondacks, bottle it and send it to Glen down on Long Island. Tell him it's single malt whiskey. He's unlikely to detect the difference and will willingly consume all of it.

After a winter of drinking the stuff he'll come up for our Spring brookie fishing trip. If he reeks strangely of Benzene or spontaneously bursts into flames while standing near the campfire then we'll know there's a measureable detrimental effect.

We can write a paper describing our findings, which will be much more thorough and evidence-based than the source cited by the OP. Knowledgeable and qualified authors will include UpstateDave, gmorin, marzrw, wildbrookies, serotonin, creekwader, aft paddle, schultzz, gman, eaglecrag, pikebuster and yours truly. The forum will act as our peer review body and opportunity to offer alternative hypotheses and conclusions.

Our cabin fever/excess energy problem is neatly and conveniently solved.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #24
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
As a kid in the 50's and 60's, living in lake effect country whre we often had feet of fresh fluffy snow, eating "sugar on snow" (maple syrup) was a frequent and welcome treat.
And oh boy is it good today too! We have feet of fresh snow.. Something good has to come out of all that work!
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:27 PM   #25
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
This thread provides ample evidence that cabin fever has set in early and hard this year. This does not bode well, as winter looks to be long and cruel. All this cooped up energy will find a release and we need to find a controlled, positive mechanism.

For our own benefit and in the name of science I suggest we do our own snow pollution study. Let's collect snowmelt from around the Adirondacks, bottle it and send it to Glen down on Long Island. Tell him it's single malt whiskey. He's unlikely to detect the difference and will willingly consume all of it.

After a winter of drinking the stuff he'll come up for our Spring brookie fishing trip. If he reeks strangely of Benzene or spontaneously bursts into flames while standing near the campfire then we'll know there's a measureable detrimental effect.

We can write a paper describing our findings, which will be much more thorough and evidence-based than the source cited by the OP. Knowledgeable and qualified authors will include UpstateDave, gmorin, marzrw, wildbrookies, serotonin, creekwader, aft paddle, schultzz, gman, eaglecrag, pikebuster and yours truly. The forum will act as our peer review body and opportunity to offer alternative hypotheses and conclusions.

Our cabin fever/excess energy problem is neatly and conveniently solved.
Always innovative, precise, and refreshing. Why didn't you run for office?
Old 01-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #26
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
And oh boy is it good today too! We have feet of fresh snow.. Something good has to come out of all that work!
Recent Lake Effect on the deck, and not bad for a ski tour around the property this morning too (it takes about 3 passes to make a decently fast track):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg January 2017.jpg (92.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 01-02-2017, 03:47 PM   #27
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
Perhaps showing my age.....my mother said the same when I was young. I'm convinced it was in consideration to above ground nuclear bomb testing that in the US occurred until 1963. Reading up on this I see that China tested above ground until 1980. And if you look further you'll find in peer reviewed scientific journals where traces of plutonium are found in alpine ice cores taken in the European Alps that were very far from any blast test site.

The atmospheric nuclear affects persist for several years after a test. Nowadays it is said that it is not a problem

Lately I have no qualms eating snow

Don

Don, give this podcast a listen, I think you'll find it fascinating.
http://www.radiolab.org/story/carbon/

In a nutshell:
Bomb Pulse

Aboveground nuclear testing artificially increased the levels of Carbon-14. The Wikipedia article explains how it becomes incorporated into our cells. In other words, anyone born after atmospheric nuclear testing commenced has elevated levels of Carbon-14 in their cells.

After the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty was ratified, levels of Carbon-14 in the atmosphere started dropping by ~1%/year. This information can be used to date tissue by measuring its level of Carbon-14. It's been used in forensics as well as in medicine where we've learned which cells in the human body replace themselves faster than others.

C-14 will return to pre-Bomb Pulse levels by 2030; people born afterwards will no longer have elevated levels of C-14 and none of the forensic and medical analysis we've learned to do will be applicable to them.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 01-02-2017 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Typo.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #28
tenderfoot

Hmmm
  • #1 killer is heart disease
  • Stress is a contributor to heart disease
  • Anxiety can cause stress
  • Worrying about eating snow may be more harmful than eating snow?

Old 01-05-2017, 02:03 AM   #29
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Oh boy, where does this rabbit hole go... (bomb pulse, nukes and maple syrup - good thing it's not lunch time)

In case someone else might be interested, the other day I remembered that data on ADK snow does in fact exist. "Snowpack Chemistry" was part of lake sampling study (by ALSC) between late nineties and early 2010's.

For those eating snow, bon appétit!
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:20 AM   #30
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I remember that study, if it is the same one. I reached out to the lead author to ask about a different, but related issue. He responded with some great information. Most of which is applicable to my backcountry decisions regarding water.

Edit: the study I remembered was by a professor at Paul Smiths.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Last edited by DuctTape; 01-05-2017 at 11:18 AM..
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #31
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Oh boy, where does this rabbit hole go...
Possibly here? https://youtu.be/-roBPhD-G3U

Time to start making hats.

/s
Old 01-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #32
Hard Scrabble

I agree, TB.
I'm thinking that we ingest more toxins while filling our gas tank than eating fresh fallen snow.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #33
paul ron

eating healthy can be more deadly too.... imported veggies n produce from around tge world where its legal to use all those USA banned chemicals.... mmmmm your gold fish have 3 eyes?
paul ron is offline   Reply With Quote