Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
forest dweller

Adirondack-less long weekend, for lack of someone to go with.

Does ANYBODY else know the horrible feeling of letting a 4 day weekend in the Adirondacks, with a superb weather forecast, slip through your fingers because you didn't have anybody to go with?

That is what happened to me this weekend and I want to make it THE LAST weekend it happens to me.

I have been into backpacking in the Adirondacks for 20 years now, and I recently have gotten into canoe camping.

But I have only ONE friend that does this with me occasionally - I actually met him here on a thread just like this one about 5 or 6 years ago when I was looking for someone to go winter camping with.

Since then we have been out like 15 or 20 times together and I consider him a friend even though we only get together when we do our Adirondack trips.

But he can't go nearly as much as I can, and I get frustrated when I can't find others to go with.

I NEED to find a way to make more friends that like to do this.

I CANNOT waste valuable weekends any more. I cannot waste life and youth anymore.

Some day I hope to do backpacking trips in Yellowstone, Denali and Glacier - and canoe camping trips in remote parts of Ontario - but I won't go as part of a guided thing, I won't PAY somebody to take me (I know what I am doing, for the most part!) I want to go with cool people who are as passionate about forests, mountains, wildlife and wilderness as I am.

For some reason, however, just like there might be thousands of women who might be an ideal match for me scattered across the world, there are thousands of people who I'd see eye-to-eye with and who loves the outdoors the way I do -

but I have failed to cross paths with these people and I fear more of the same -

I know they exist but we haven't met, and it seems as though we may never meet.

I have the gear, the desire, the knowledge and the time, but not the will to go alone. I'm just not comfortable being alone.

So, when the black flies die off, if anyone is willing to take a chance on backpacking with a stranger, feel free to reply to this thread or PM me.

Maybe some day we'll be flying to Montana to explore some remote parts of Glacier National Park together.

And then who knows?

But I can't do this alone and life is going by.

PS - I'm a 33 year old-looking 43 year old! So I'd get along with anyone from 23 to 63 give or take!

PPS - We would probably get along best if you were a major tree hugger!
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote