Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #1
Miah2019

Off-season camping options after Labor Day at state campgrounds, etc?

Does anyone know the current standing on the topic of off-season camping after Labor Day at state campgrounds, etc?

(Also, does anyone know if there are any private campgrounds open after Labor Day?)

We have a truck camper and would like to know if it is allowed at any state campgrounds off season. (We do not need water or bathroom facilities as we have holding tanks and would carry our own water.)

(Fish Creek is no longer officially open into Nov and everything looks like it closes up by Oct., hence the question as to what the current options are as the original thread was 17 years old!!!!)

We are aware that the camping options would be primitive camping and self-contained - but being self contained and a semi low footprint, we like to hike - and hence, knowing where we could camp after Labor Day would be very helpful and allow us to camp "off season" and enjoy the many trails that exist across the great state of NY.

Also, would be interested in knowing of any off-season camping opportunities in other areas of NY (as well as southern/western VT and MA as well if anyone knows of such.)

And I guess the question actually might become - Where can one camp/park overnight legally in the ADKs if they are self-contained want to sleep and hike/snow shoe/X-C ski in the ADKs off-season into late Fall/Winter/early Spring?

Thank you!

Last edited by Miah2019; 10-19-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Miah2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
JonnyADK

My opinion is that you are OK camping at a closed DEC campsite as long as you find a site outside of the barrier gate. I have seen self contained campers at Brown Tract Pond on Uncas Road sites while the campsite was closed for the season.

I don't know if that is DEC policy or the staff onsite doing seasonal shutdown at BTP just looked the other way...
JonnyADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
vapaddler

several come to mind ; Floodwood road has a dozen or more (up to about 20, maybe?) sites, 3 day limit. Hoel Pond has I think 4 that are open, a few more are closed to rehab. naturally. Green Pond behind the Hatchery has 12 sites, I think. A little ways out but there are 5 sites at Jones Pond, sort of toward Paul Smith's. Enjoy! I love fall camping up that way. Just got back from 2 weeks in the general area of Upper Saranac.
vapaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #4
Bob K

Primative camping - vehicle

You should search this site for roadside or car camping sites and see what areas are of interest. These would be in addition to those that may be at or adjacent to formal campgrounds. Not sure there will be many off-season drive -up by campgrounds as most have gates on their access roads into the campsites. Of course Moose River Plains has 100 or so sites that fit your goal.

Worth posting a follow up question on specifics for a location or two. Some "roadside" sites can require 4WD and a few only allow tents to be used a short walk from a parking spot (no sleeping in vehicle).
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
peskypup

Rogers Rock on the northern end of Lake George is not gated. We walk our dogs in there out of season and have seen people camping as late as New Year.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
Wldrns

Last week I had a training event at 8th Lake campground with permission from the DEC. The campground has no gate. Unrelated to us there were truck and trailer campers there.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

I used to canoe camp in the off season at Forked Lake, using the lean-to that's just off the "sanctioned sites" board and non-reservable. Not sure if we were legal or not, but a few times the ranger was still up there and never gave us any trouble.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #8
electbc
Outdoorsman

You can always contact the state, just to clarify. Of course you may get different answers from different employees.

For additional information on camping in the Forest Preserves write to:
N.Y.S. Department of Environmental Conservation
Bureau of Recreation, 3rd Floor
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-5253
Or Call (518) 457-2500
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
webby459

Some places I'd check out, but with a warning that you'd have to check for road closures, general regulations, and have a vehicle that can get to these spots.
Mason Lake off route 30 N of Speculator. Not sure if the access to the N closes when Jessup River Rd closes, but check.
The Old Route 28 loop on the shore of Lake Durant has two primative sites, just like 1/4 mile west of the NPT trailhead.
There's a couple drive in primative sites just W of the above, off of Durant Rd. in BML.
Also looks like there's quite a few sites on or just off Route 8 in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness, not sure how that works?
Allllso, I'd try down at the Cedar dam at the end of Cedar River Rd before the gate to the Moose River Plains.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Muddy Creek

In addition to Moose River Plains, Piesco Powley Road comes to mind.

Hunting season is soon underway so these sites might all be taken. I stay away during the shooting season
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Some DEC campgrounds revert to backcountry regulations after they close for the season- but not all. Usually, the only campgrounds that permit off-season camping are those with sites with restroom facilities not dependent on running water (i.e., outhouses/box toilets). Some examples that come to mind include (I believe) Lake George Islands and Indian Lake.

(Although even this isn't a hard and fast rule as Alger Island does not permit off-season camping.)

The DEC does not publish a list of which campgrounds permit off-season camping. The only way to find out is to contact the DEC directly and ask.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #12
electbc
Outdoorsman

Once, years ago, my dad and I camped out at Wilmington Notch after it closed. The ranger came by during the day and told us it was honor system registration, After he mentioned that, then we saw where to register. I have no idea if this is still an option, it would be nice to hot tent and ski Whiteface. There is always the Adirondack Loj option.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #13
Buckladd

There is a very nice campsite near the boat launch and before the gate at Limekiln Lake. Taylor Pond is a possibility and there are campsites on Raquette Lake along 28 that are normally part of Golden Beach campground. Along with some others mentioned here, check out those along the Sacandaga River west of Wells and on VanderWacker Road in Minerva/Newcomb. There's also a few on the Boreas River near 28N. And there's always Moose River Plains and Cedar River Flow.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #14
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
There is a very nice campsite near the boat launch and before the gate at Limekiln Lake. Taylor Pond is a possibility and there are campsites on Raquette Lake along 28 that are normally part of Golden Beach campground. Along with some others mentioned here, check out those along the Sacandaga River west of Wells and on VanderWacker Road in Minerva/Newcomb. There's also a few on the Boreas River near 28N. And there's always Moose River Plains and Cedar River Flow.
How long and how far do they plow the road that leads to Cedar River Flow? I've never been there in the dead of winter.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #15
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
How long and how far do they plow the road that leads to Cedar River Flow? I've never been there in the dead of winter.
Once the snow flies you can't get to CFL, there's a big snowmobile parking lot maybe three miles or more from the flow.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #16
Lucky13

The Plains Roads close to vehicles and become a snow mobile highway when Deer Season closes.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #17
Muddy Creek

The winter lot a few miles from the flow is on private land and the owner charges, I believe, $5 per snowmobile. I'm not aware of how much she charges per snowshoe.
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote