Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
FiveThousandStars

Looking for a mentor

I am a beginning hunter with NYS hunting license and rifle experience. Looking to find a mentor who would be willing to take me on a hunt or two this season, I don't even have to bring my rifle if you would prefer. I would just like to shadow and learn. I am looking for someone who enjoys hunting at least a few miles from trail head and plans to camp overnight in tents. All fair chase stalking type hunting. Please feel free to contact me and start a conversation. A little about myself, I am a 35 year old new father with an Engineering degree. I am in decent physical shape and am currently training to get in better shape still. I have backpacked once before in Adirondacks a few years back and loved the area. Again make no mistakes about it I am pretty much as green as they come, but I am an exceptional learner and up for the challenge. I can follow directions and have very little ego when it comes to who is in charge.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Enjoy your season!
FiveThousandStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
Wldrns

nysoga.org has lots people willing to help.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
Stillhunter

Your brief bio sounds good and sincere. Do you know anyone who hunts near your home area?
It is not easy to get a mentor on here but it might happen. It would be easier if you can find someone within a short distance of you.
Another suggestion is to join a hunting club that has a good reputation as a welcoming club.
Not looking for details but what general location are you in?
NY? Upstate, western ny, etc.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Buckladd

Might be a little late getting into this program, but this is surely something to consider in the future:

https://www.qdma.com/recruit/field-to-fork/

https://www.outdoornews.com/2019/10/...ew-york-state/
Old 10-26-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Lucky13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Your brief bio sounds good and sincere. Do you know anyone who hunts near your home area?
It is not easy to get a mentor on here but it might happen. It would be easier if you can find someone within a short distance of you.
Another suggestion is to join a hunting club that has a good reputation as a welcoming club.
Not looking for details but what general location are you in?
NY? Upstate, western ny, etc.
Newcomb Sportsman's is always recruiting.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
RipVanWinkle

I’d also recommend putting in a request on NYSOGA.org. I’m just getting into hunting myself and booked a guide in the NW ADK. You’ll have to spend some money but it’s probably worth it if you really want someone who knows what they’re doing to show you the ropes.
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveThousandStars View Post
I am a beginning hunter with NYS hunting license and rifle experience. Looking to find a mentor who would be willing to take me on a hunt or two this season, I don't even have to bring my rifle if you would prefer. I would just like to shadow and learn. I am looking for someone who enjoys hunting at least a few miles from trail head and plans to camp overnight in tents. All fair chase stalking type hunting. Please feel free to contact me and start a conversation. A little about myself, I am a 35 year old new father with an Engineering degree. I am in decent physical shape and am currently training to get in better shape still. I have backpacked once before in Adirondacks a few years back and loved the area. Again make no mistakes about it I am pretty much as green as they come, but I am an exceptional learner and up for the challenge. I can follow directions and have very little ego when it comes to who is in charge.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Enjoy your season!
Good luck in your search. It is a worthwhile quest for a potentially life time passion. Those who are up for an outbound journey usually are rewarded with an inward discovery.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

mentor

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2924...p_application/

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:34 PM   #9
IndLk_Brett

If you are unable to find anyone have you considered hiring a guide?

You could go on a simple day hunt while receiving instruction and being taught some valuable information or even hunt out of an established tent camp for a few days if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 10-29-2019 at 12:25 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
Fly Rodder

Join New York Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and see if there are any events coming up in your area to meet people.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:47 PM   #11
Cpswing555

while your waiting do some reading and listening. there are some great books out there. Hunting the ADK is a bit different too. I recommend Hal bloods books (good stories with pointers) or read the benoit books. articles are great too. Lately to crave my hunting need I have been going to bwb.COM AND LISTENING TO THE PODCASTS. sorry for caps. you can find on youtube. They tell stories about hunting deer, what happened, what they were thinking, and why they did what they did.
Cpswing555 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
mgc

Some of the worst hunting advice I ever received was from several well meaning "mentors". Once I got out on my own and started to put all of the pieces together I quickly realized that there are quite a few clowns in the woods. My suggestion is to avoid clubs (where bad habits are institutionalized in the interests of fitting in), read what you can, don't ingest the made for camera hunting shows as real and spend as much time as possible in the woods. Be safe and patient. Always let someone know where you are hunting and when to expect you back. Be sure of your shots, 100% sure and beyond. If you hunt from a stand wear a harness and use a safety line every time you leave the ground, even if you are only a few feet up. Use a haul line for your bow/(unloaded) gun. Don't be afraid to pass on a less than good shot, there will always be another better one. Hunt only where you have permission etc. The only thing you need help with is dressing a deer..once. From then on you should be fine. Honestly, if you truly study the NYS Hunter Ed course guides for HE and Bowhunting there is more than enough information there for you to get off to a good start. Good luck.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Speaking of "mentors", does anyone know what happened to "RedhawK"? Haven't heard from him in a few years.