Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
cpoit

Ice conditions

Hi all, I dont hike too often in the ADK. I'm going this weekend and see a slight dip in the weather..... are microspikes needed this weekend or does the temp need to be lower for longer? Thanks everyone.
cpoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
snapper
snapper

Sorry that I'm unable to answer your question but for what microspikes weigh, and the small amount of room they'll take up in your pack, I'd suggest you just bring them. That way you have them if the conditions you encounter require them.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
Woodly

With predicted temperatures of about 32 Friday and Saturday night expect anything.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The temps at higher elevations will be well below freezing overnight this weekend. Newcomb's forecast is showing a predicted low of 25 degrees F Friday night- temperatures at or near the summits of the High Peaks could easily be around 10-15 degrees after you factor in the difference in elevation. So some ice is likely to form overnight, yes.

With that being said, day time highs will likely be above freezing on all but perhaps the tallest peaks- so it's also not super likely that the ice will stick around all day.

But, like Snapper says- for what they weigh, there's a solid argument for saying that it is better to carry microspikes and not need them than it is to not carry them and need them. Especially this time of year, and if there's any chance of ice at all.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
cpoit

Thanks all for the responses, we are doing Wright, Algonquin, and Iroquois so I'll be bringing the spikes for sure. Thanks again.
cpoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
JR8899

Hey Cpoit, how'd it go? I'm planning on doing the same hike this weekend and I have my eye on the forecast. How was your weather?
JR8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
tenderfoot

We were up on Haystack Sun 10/13. Left spikes in car. At the very top there was a very small amount of ice on puddles in the shade. Nothing on rock face.

With that said the mountain forecast for this week for Algonquin seems to have below freezing weather and some precipitation all week long.

So I would plan on spikes.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #8
JR8899

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
We were up on Haystack Sun 10/13. Left spikes in car. At the very top there was a very small amount of ice on puddles in the shade. Nothing on rock face.

With that said the mountain forecast for this week for Algonquin seems to have below freezing weather and some precipitation all week long.

So I would plan on spikes.
Thanks. I donít own any and have been reluctant to buy some but it seems it would be the smart thing to do
JR8899 is offline   Reply With Quote