Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
supertaco

Lake Placid -to- NYC Port Authority Bus?

Anyone ever take that bus trip? Apparently 8 hours but only $70; Amtrak is $90 but takes almost 10 hours. I think my wife would be OK to drop me off at the Northville trailhead. I figured I could take this bus + NJ Transit to Trenton NJ that gets me very close to home. Just looking for any insights. Thanks.
supertaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I assume you're referring to the Trailways bus? When I lived in Saranac Lake, a close friend of mine used to take it to and from Albany to visit every once in a while. She never complained- actually seemed to enjoy the ride. She said that there was WiFi on the bus, and most of the stops are at gas stations/convenience stores along the way so you can hop off and get snacks/drinks as needed.

I might suggest that after thru-hiking the NPT, you might look into finding someplace to shower and change your clothes before getting on the bus, though.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
supertaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I might suggest that after thru-hiking the NPT, you might look into finding someplace to shower and change your clothes before getting on the bus, though.
Hah. noooo... I figured it would be my force field to keep the seats open around me!

I'll figure out a shower/clean up prior to the bus ride. Thanks for the info!
supertaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

I take that bus trip about once a year and it's not too bad. There are a few stops to buy snacks and stretch your legs. The bus often runs late, but I would still show up a few minutes early just in case it's on time for once.

You may already know this but there is no longer a connecting shuttle service between Lake Placid and the Amtrak station at Westport. Instead, you'd take the Trailways bus from Lake Placid and change to the train in Saratoga Springs.

Last edited by debmonster; 09-27-2019 at 09:18 AM..
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
tgoodwin

Interesting and creative logistics for an N-P thru hike. Today, many may not realize that Northville and Lake Placid were chosen at the two end points because in 1922 both towns had passenger rail service. Northville's didn't survive many year after because of the building of Great Sacandaga Lake. Despite many requests by the New York Central Railroad to discontinue that service, Lake Placid's service limped on until 1965.