Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
Buckladd

Northern Zone - 2019

Well gang, the big game seasons are just about upon us. I'm personally not a bear hunter but I know others on this forum are. Anyone going out on Saturday, and who is getting ready for the early archery season on Sept. 27? Lots of food out there, at least apples and acorns and a few guys on here have reported seeing beechnuts. 'Hope everyone is getting ready for the season. Let's keep the conditions and sign reports coming as things progress. And of course, the stories!
Old 09-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
St.Regis

No bow this year. I didn't practice enough to be good enough (or at least to be confident enough) to cleanly kill a deer; at least that's my logic. I did, however, get a muzzleloader license and will be in the woods for the NZ opener. Lots of acorns and hickory nuts in the woods and not much corn close by. Hoping for a buck, but will have no problem snapping a cap on a fat doe. Good luck to all and be safe!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Buckladd

Good luck to all who are going out tomorrow. I have tomorrow off as well as some time over the weekend and am pretty excited for the mornings, but not so much for the warm afternoons. A cool down next week should kick things up a bit. Hopefully we'll get some stories soon from early season deer and bear hunts. Not to mention grouse, youth waterfowl and pheasant and all the seasons that open Oct. 1. Man, I love hunting season!
Old 09-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
Swamp Booger

I'll miss opening weekend of northern zone muzzleloader, but that's ok because I get to start off my season on Oct 15 hunting Mule Deer in Wyoming! Plan is to leave the night of Oct 10, meet my buddy in Columbus Ohio, and drive straight thru to Casper. That will give us at least 2 days to scout the area before the season opens. We'll have up to 4 days to hunt before having to head back. I've been honing my shooting skills at 200 and 300yds and trying to get this ole bod ready by climbing stairs every day. Needless to say, my work attitude is sinking!
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:38 PM   #5
WAYBKDACKS
WAYBKDACKS

My son and I spent 6 days in August scouting areas in the NZ and i'm hoping all the swatting deer flies and skeeters was worth it. We speed scouted swamps, saddles and many ridge tops. On our next to last day we finally found what we had not found in the previous miles covered sweating our butts off....a new set of woods with old rubs, new rubs (last years), piles of fresh and old turds, well used trails and lots of them. We are headed back Nov 1st for a week praying for snow with the rifles, wall tent, stove, and all the other goods that weigh you down. The kicker is its a 6-7 hour haul to get back in there, two ponds to paddle, one long portage from one to the other....thoughts creep in that you may possibly be crazy, but we gotta known what is tearing up all those calve sized striped maples. If you are a deer hunter that has the bug bad its all you can think about.
WAYBKDACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:19 AM   #6
Buckladd

Well, I had a nice opening morning. Saw eight deer and a flock of turkeys. Pretty much full action from sunrise until around 8:15 when I arrowed this spike. He was the first in the bunch to provide a comfortable shot, and I took advantage of the opportunity. It's been a few years since I've had some bowhunting success. Sounds like some others on here have some good hunts planned. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4163.JPG (70.0 KB, 300 views)
Old 09-29-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
Stillhunter

Nice deer. Sounds like you had a memorable hunt. Thanks for sharing your picture.
We're you hunting from a tree stand or on the ground? How far was the shot?
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #8
WAYBKDACKS
WAYBKDACKS

Congrats! any deer with the bow is a memory never to be forgotten. Always nice to have venison in the freezer early too. He will eat very well!
WAYBKDACKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
chaser
pond jockey

Nice job BL!!!
Old 09-29-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
Tug Hill

Congrats on your bow kill. Today I went to my wall tent in the southwestern ADKs and fired my stove for the first time. I have everything ready for MZ opener. Good luck everyone.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #11
Edb 46 er

Congratulations Buck Ladd!

Hey, Tug. Are you going to load any pics of your wall tent camp?
Old 09-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #12
St.Regis

Way to go Buckladd!!
Old 09-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #13
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Nice deer. Sounds like you had a memorable hunt. Thanks for sharing your picture.
We're you hunting from a tree stand or on the ground? How far was the shot?
Thanks all! SH - 15 yards from a tree stand. It was an action packed morning. My young cousin sat the same stand this morning and didn't see a thing. I hope I didn't ruin it for him. He's coming back tomorrow for this 20th b-day and I hope he gets a shot.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:55 PM   #14
Tug Hill

Edb, Sure will, I have to download pics to my computer, and then maybe I can figure out how to post pics here ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:09 PM   #15
Edb 46 er

Yeah, I am in the same boat. I think you need to use a third-party site like flicker or something.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
Edb 46 er

Sitting in my bow stand getting soaked.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #17
Mallard1100

Did anyone head out for muzzle loader this weekend? 5 of us are heading up to our camp in Long lake on Thursday. Can’t wait. Anyone else heading up for the opener?
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #18
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard1100 View Post
Did anyone head out for muzzle loader this weekend? 5 of us are heading up to our camp in Long lake on Thursday. Canít wait. Anyone else heading up for the opener?
Nice weekend for hunting with the smokepole. I only saw one deer, but heard a lot of shooting. We're concerned that too many does are being taken in our area. Every year it seems a lot of guys that don't hunt here during the rifle season come in during muzzleloading to meat hunt.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #19
Stillhunter

I agree Buckladd, the does can't get any relief between Muzzleloader season, coyotes and the long hard winters. They passed a law for the region six DMU's that border region 5 a few years ago. Now only bucks are permitted in ML season. I gave my input that the adjoining region 5 units should also be make ML bucks only. Deer numbers are dependent on the mature breeding does which is what are taken out. Hopefully this issue will be raised again and soon. Maybe you can help with your writing platforms?
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #20
St.Regis

I hunted the opener of muzzleloader. I saw four does; three were within 35 yards. I let them pass. I'm heading up again later this week before the rifle opener.