Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
'Dack Paddler

Lowe's Dam

Is it possible to park a car overnight at Lowe's Dam @ Hitchins Pond?
'Dack Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Waterspyder

No problem parking there overnight. The only issue is crowding in the parking lot depending on when you plan to paddle. It's possible during the summer to drop your equipment off near the lower falls dam and then end up backing up the access road a quarter mile or so to find a parking spot along the side of the road.
Waterspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
madmike

Yes

The crowding can be bad. I got lucky the last time I was there. I had my van and trailer, I was picking up 9 sea kayaks. I pulled right in knowing I might be in serious trouble, but there was one open spot, in the perfect place to k-turn the whole thing around. I was able to back right up to the gate for a quick load and escape. I was grinning the whole way home.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Dack Paddler View Post
Assuming you mean Lows (the correct spelling, no apostrophe) lower dam on the Bog River. Yes, you can, but the parking area is small. On busy weekends you may have to park up to a quarter mile prior along the road, but you can usually at least offload your gear in the full parking lot, then back up to an unmaintained pull-out.

You cannot drive anywhere near the upper dam, which is where the river flows into Hitchins. The road to the upper dam is gated and private at the old Sabattis train station.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yeah, I wasn't sure either whether Dack Paddler meant the upper dam or the lower dam. Only the lower dam is accessible by car, and the parking area is small. There is no public motor vehicle access to the upper dam... best way to get there is to either paddle from the lower dam, or hike in on the truck trail from the north of Hitchins Pond.

I spent a week on Lowe's with a friend a few years ago, paddling around the entire lake and visiting all of the campsites. We had the entire lake to ourselves. On Friday, as we were paddling out, we passed quite a few groups heading in for the weekend. It can be a popular spot.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
'Dack Paddler

Thanks for the info, I've driven over the Upper Dam as I've been to Sabbattis before to help set up for the Scouts. Appreciate the input.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
'Dack Paddler

Quote:
Lol at my spelling, confused with the hardware store!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I've driven over the Upper Dam as I've been to Sabbattis before to help set up for the Scouts. Appreciate the input.
Yup, no parking there though, and drive through allowed strictly for scout business only. Do you know Dawn and Greg?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
latremorej

may be possible in the future...

I know a person who works in the DEC.. Says the lower dam has failed numerous consecutive inspections. They have 3 options on the table from my understanding. 1 drain it off slowly and leave it. 2 fix it. 3 (i think) drain it off and remove it completely. From my understanding, fixing it is the most expensive. I also hear that there is some chatter about opening the road to the upper dam to the public and making a large parking lot. (If fixing the lower dam isn't gonna happen). Don't know anything about a time line or which direction the state will take, just thought I would toss it out there. Maybe someone here has better info? Just rumors? Dunno
Jason
latremorej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by latremorej View Post
I know a person who works in the DEC.. Says the lower dam has failed numerous consecutive inspections.
Jason
Seems awful odd to me..that dam was completely rebuilt in the last 15 or 20 years...not like it's leftover from 1903!! What's the planned life span of a dam??
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Seems awful odd to me..that dam was completely rebuilt in the last 15 or 20 years...not like it's leftover from 1903!! What's the planned life span of a dam??
The Upper dam was completely rebuilt about 20 years ago with extensive renovations, and has been largely maintained since. But the Lower dam, not so much.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I have photos of that lower dam from before it was rebuilt...Does anyone remember the pipe that diverted water to the turbines at the lower dam? There was a small hole in that pipe that shot water 30 ft to the other side of the river...made for a fantastic ice sculpture.
I'll look for those photos to show before and after.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
latremorej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
The Upper dam was completely rebuilt about 20 years ago with extensive renovations, and has been largely maintained since. But the Lower dam, not so much.
I don't know much about it honestly, I was told the repairs would cost in the "millions". However, taking it out completely would also cost "millions" as well. I had no knowledge prior till o'01-02 when I was first introduced to this area when I heard about some friends paddling when I returned from Germany in the service. Love the area. Would suck if they decided to let the dam go. But... it's Supposedly a wilderness area right? No motors and such. Don't make sense if you ask me, being a man made lake and all. I read somewhere that Bog river flow of was something one would go to just to say he did it once, before Low turned it into a lake. I still enjoy it though.
latremorej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

If they built a new dam a few hundred yards upstream at the narrows it would be a much smaller dam with nice rock wall anchors on each side...Has anyone thought of that as a cheaper option?

They could name it Lows Middle Dam!!!

Or how about just fixing the old dam part way up from the bottom and lowering the water level to just enough to allow canoes to float? Perhaps a few more muddy portages/drags!

I do not like the idea of a new upper dam parking lot.... it would make the lake too accessible and crowded..probably have to have reservations and such..

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

OK, it took me a while, but I found these photos from August 1990.

Here is the old generator house, turbines were just below

This is my daughter and friend standing on the bypass pipe...the hole in the pipe would spray water all the way across the Bog River and create that enormous ice sculpture.

And the next two are the old lower dam

Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
shiraz627
Gary

Looks like a wooden dam?
shiraz627 is offline   Reply With Quote