Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
46R796

Paddling the Jessup River -more pics

See my other thread for more info on the Jessup River trip
End of the quick water and entering Indian Lake

Take out at start of quick water

Indian Lake

Dug pond stream enters the Jessup/Indian Lake

Last edited by 46R796; 07-20-2010 at 09:29 PM..
46R796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
jan

Nice pics! I don't remember that cable, but my memory is not that great anymore. Too bad you didn't have time to get up to the big falls. They're really nice.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
46R796

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
Nice pics! I don't remember that cable, but my memory is not that great anymore. Too bad you didn't have time to get up to the big falls. They're really nice.
Funny thing about the cable.I didnt notice it until I got out of my kayak and pulled it onto the bank.I then looked up and saw it.
We will most likely run this trip again some day.
Theres a few campsites along the bank also for anyone wishing an overnighter.
Just a note:The water is "bigger" then what some pics indicate due to the camera zoom and its easy to lose perspective.
Also,next time we will bring long pants and hiking shoes as the path is brushy.

Last edited by 46R796; 07-21-2010 at 07:16 AM..
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
46R796

Put in

Last S turn in Jessup before dumping into Indian Lk

First Beaver dam going downstream from RT30-Coming back upstream

Looking back upstream at the quickwater.Tree in middle is the start of it.

Herd Path

Last edited by 46R796; 07-21-2010 at 07:12 AM..
Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Mr. 46R796,

Here's my contribution. Water was fast today, beaver dam looks different.
Most of my photos are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/tomaszew...RiverPaddling#

Lower Falls

Upper Falls

Upper Falls again, with my darling bride in the photo for perspective

and one more on the Jessup

Last edited by stripperguy; 08-27-2010 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: Added photo
stripperguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
46R796

Stripperguy,
Considerable amount more water and faster too.Did you run the rapids??
Thanks for sharing your pics.Its a very scenic,enjoyable trip.We will do the trip again someday.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

aka-Tom,
My darling bride dropped into the 1st sections, but turned around, not knowing what would come next. She really wanted to run it all, but was unsure about the return trip. After seeing all of the water downstream, she knows it would have been too tough to paddle back upstream. I did offer to carry her boat back upstream. I was glad she didn't take me up on my offer. My boat just isn't suitable for that kind of water, so I ditched mine at the 1st opportunity. I guess I need a little different boat.
We both said we would go back and do a one way trip someday, with me bicycling back to the start point after spotting the car at the Rt 30 boat launch at Indian.
Someday...
Old 08-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
46R796

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
aka-Tom,
My darling bride dropped into the 1st sections, but turned around, not knowing what would come next. She really wanted to run it all, but was unsure about the return trip. After seeing all of the water downstream, she knows it would have been too tough to paddle back upstream. I did offer to carry her boat back upstream. I was glad she didn't take me up on my offer. My boat just isn't suitable for that kind of water, so I ditched mine at the 1st opportunity. I guess I need a little different boat.
We both said we would go back and do a one way trip someday, with me bicycling back to the start point after spotting the car at the Rt 30 boat launch at Indian.
Someday...
I dont blame you for NOT wanting to run the quickwater with your boat.Its way too nice to go down there.I doubt it could be run without hitting a few rocks and the water is "bigger" then what the pics show.If I had an older Kayak I probably would have tried it after seeing the water,but then there was less water a month ago.I also thought about doing a one way trip to Indian Lk.Like you said-someday.I will post a pic of the step falls in this thread so everyone can see the difference in water flow.

Dug pond step falls (lower)
Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
paddlewheel
**BANNED**

Quote:
aka-Tom,
Someday...
Yeah ....that's a great day trip or an overnighter...I did that last summer with a friend, and in the early fall with my son leaving one vehicle at the Indian Lake boat launch parking and the other at the Rt. 30 bridge. (I think it costs 5 bucks to park at the launch..but that vehicle is definately safe) You can paddle up through that Jessup bay of the lake, around Long Island & back to the launch. A great time to do it is after labor day, when most of the reserved campsites in the bay are open & there's a whole lot less motor boat traffic. The whole trip is like 12 miles or so.

Indian Lake can get rough in a hurry though, so be careful of that.

Great idea with the bicycle, Mike...I'll have to try that sometime.
paddlewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
paddlewheel
**BANNED**

Some pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3036.jpg (64.6 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3041.jpg (43.2 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3058.jpg (60.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3063.jpg (52.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Hey Tom,

I looked back at my photos from Indian lake...I have the same double peak mountain in the background.
Is that Dug Mt? Kunjamuk? I can't tell which way the photos were taken.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
paddlewheel
**BANNED**

Quote:
Hey Tom,

I looked back at my photos from Indian lake...I have the same double peak mountain in the background.
Is that Dug Mt? Kunjamuk? I can't tell which way the photos were taken.
I'm not sure what mts. they are but that shot was taken from one of the last campsites on the right, before you come out of that Jessup bay into the lake proper. In that shot of the red canoe, that point on the left is where you make the turn to head to the state boat launch.