Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
SpencerVT

Blue Ridges (3497' and 3436')

Best possible weather to hike yesterday. Nothing but blue sky and sunshine, gentle breeze and cool crisp fall weather. I took the old tote road out toward Dishrag pond from the NPT. At the very end of this old tote road was this awesome, circa 1938 automobile just in the absolute middle of the woods. Hard to imagine how it ever got out there with the route in its present condition. So cool to see!
I felt that both of these Blue Ridges were nice mostly wide open woods. I even caught some peak-out views in several places. I made it across the long-ass ridge between the two peaks in 2.5 hours. I think the tree that had the old canister strapping on the easternmost Blue Ridge has fallen over. I searched all over the summit for it and could not find it anywhere, and there was lots of seemingly fresh blowdown.
In part due to the inviting amazingly pleasant weather I made record time yesterday and completed the hike in 6 hours and 45 minutes.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #2
Bark Eater Too

Wow, that's an incredible time. Was that elapsed time from leaving the NPT or from the trailhead? That old tote road used to go through to Sagemore and had logging camp(s) along it. I'm told there used to be a phone line strung through there as well. Congratulations. I found the west peak to be fairly open but the east peak to have horrible blowdown on route up the face, in two separate excursions.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
Wow, that's an incredible time.
With a name of Spencer Bigfoot, no surprise!

Late last fall mastergrasshopper and I went due north up the east peak and hit some brutal blowdown/regrowth. Then last winter our group of 4 descended off of east (after doing west) and I was able to steer us clear of the blowdown but the descent involved a lot of unpleasant thickness that took forever to let up.

Never saw the old car and used the tote road for a good spell on each trip. We went in and out on each trip to the immediate west of Roundtop.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #4
SpencerVT

I had no issues with the east peak, I went across the ridge and felt it was mostly open and nice hiking all the way to the east summit. Neil: On P100 this past winter was the canister strapping still there? I couldn't find it for the life of me. I was left to conclude that the tree must have blown over, which given the blowdown at the summit was a distinct possibility.

Here is the old car, I would guess it is between a 1938-1942 year vehicle. If you take the Dishrag tote road, which actually goes lower beyond the pond, at the very terminus (or where it appears to totally peter out now) of that old tote road (now a footpath) is the old car. It was so cool to encounter!
Old 09-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #5
Neil
Kayak-46

We saw no evidence of a canister on East. Both when Glen and I did it in the fall and then for P-100 I pushed around through the mess to ensure I was indeed on the highest point. It was a mess and I never saw anything of human origin.

I wonder if any teenagers ever made out in the back of that car. Might still be some DNA in the upholstery ....
Old 09-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Lucky13

After the picture on the net, it'll likely be gone next year. Frank and Mike will hike back in and take it out piece by precious piece!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote