Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #141
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlewheel View Post
Yep .....yer right Mr. Warlock Scott Guy..
Mr Warlock Scott Guy...that's a long winded name!

Last week when I was in Brazil, I was giving a seminar at a local University, and was introduced as "Scotch"!!

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #142
Tall Tom
NPT Fanatic

I just read through all 141 posts on this thread and wondered where things stand at this point with regard to Duck Hole. The websites don't seem to work anymore. Is there a working website for saving duck hole? I'm the webmaster for www.nptrail.org and would be happy to add a page on Duck Hole if someone wants to summarize and write content for it. I'm also in the process of setting up a not-for-profit devoted to the NPT. What happened to the not-for-profit for Duck Hole? Thanks, Tom "NPT Fanatic" W.
Tall Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #143
TBPDPTI

Yeah. It would be nice to get some more info on this subject. Anybody able to chime in anything new?
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #144
fvrwld

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...id/524218.html

I'm wondering if the dam is even still there after this recent epic flooding.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:00 AM   #145
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld View Post
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...id/524218.html

I'm wondering if the dam is even still there after this recent epic flooding.
Thanks for posting this... sounds like interest in saving the dam is building again.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:59 AM   #146
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Val

I'll let you know . I'm going up in a couple of weeks, I might not get over there till next month when I canoe.

Bob
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #147
fvrwld

Still there... (photo provided by Cold River Bob, taken 5/2, photo most likely by Ranger Burns)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DHD.jpg (91.5 KB, 361 views)
Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #148
gregpphoto

Isn't the whole idea of the Adirondacks supposed to be a place free of the intrusion of man, kept "forever wild"? I don't see how preserving a man made dam jives with that philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I think its a beautiful area, perhaps one of the best in all of the Dacks.. But its still a man made structure. I would not mind in the least bit if it turned back into a meadow or a swamp, or whatever nature wants it to be.
gregpphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #149
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpphoto View Post
Isn't the whole idea of the Adirondacks supposed to be a place free of the intrusion of man, kept "forever wild"? I don't see how preserving a man made dam jives with that philosophy. Don't get me wrong, I think its a beautiful area, perhaps one of the best in all of the Dacks.. But its still a man made structure. I would not mind in the least bit if it turned back into a meadow or a swamp, or whatever nature wants it to be.
Perhaps we should enforce the "Forever Wild" 100% then and close all roads within the park as well.

The biggest problem here is who decides what. When they decide to repair Marcy Dam, which supports NO wildlife, unless you consider hikers and peak baggers as such, but decide to let Duck Hole which supports a huge ecosystem, then something is wrong.

Decisions are being made on the basis of lobbying (ADK & others), or economies. Not on the ecological impact. If you're going to let 1 dam deteriorate, then let all of them within the park deteriorate. Or else repair them all.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #150
gregpphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Perhaps we should enforce the "Forever Wild" 100% then and close all roads within the park as well.
Now you're talking. On foot we shall go!
gregpphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #151
TBPDPTI

I'm in favor of closing three places: 1.) The garden parking lot...make people walk up that hill from Keene Valley. They can park at Marcy Field. 2.) Road to Tahawus...at least shorten it up by about 5 miles or so...bear minimum, take it back to where the mine is. 3.) Remove the road to ADK Loj at Heart Lake.

Some people would hate this. Others would love it. Maybe that's just me though...

The other 56: Summer: 53/56(1st); 12/56(2nd); 3/56(3rd); 3/56(4th) Winter: 13/56(1st); 3/56(2nd); 1/56(3rd); 4th (0/56)
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #152
bluequill

I can understand the philosophy of letting things such as buildings, old camps go to the wayside as they serve no purpose. The great camp that was on Lila is an example as that would have become an eysore and served no useful purpose. As Hawk stated the Dam at Duck Hole created a whole ecosystem above and below the dam. It doesn't take away anything from the area....it is actually a beautiful structure especially when the bridge was there.

The powers to be have allowed other structures in wild areas of the park to stay....Marcy Dam and recently at least one fire tower. Why not this?
Didn't they open Henderson/ Prestons to allow a canoe route to Duck Hole?
Cool, I can't wait to that trip again, but to a swamp.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #153
Tall Tom
NPT Fanatic

Duck Hole Article

Hello all, I've been asked to write a 600 word article for the Adirondack Explorer in a Pro/Con debate with regard to saving Duck Hole. For those who haven't seen it, Phil Brown wrote a piece in the July/August edition of the Explorer titled, "Portage to Paradise". about his paddle to Duck Hole in May. It is a positive piece and I suspect he greatly supports our efforts. If anyone has any suggestions or quotes I can add to my piece please let me know. Tom W.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #154
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Here is the articl e Tom was talking about

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/st...e-to-paradise/
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #155
Tall Tom
NPT Fanatic

SaveDuckHole.com

I've submitted my "pro" article to Adirondack Explorer for an upcoming issue "Debatable" section on Should Duck Hole be Saved. I'll post a link when it is published.

I've also managed to get control again of www.saveduckhole.com; .net; .org; and .info. I hope to use these websites in the future to promote the saving of Duck Hole. Anyone who would like to help with content and pictures please let me know. My plans are to use the .org as the main website with the others pointing to it. I plan on five pages including one for history; one for articles and links to articles; one for photos; one for how people can help (including a way for people to donate to the cause via: the NPTrail Chapter - a 501(c)(3) organization.

Duck Hole can be saved. Tom W.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #156
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tom View Post
I've submitted my "pro" article to Adirondack Explorer for an upcoming issue "Debatable" section on Should Duck Hole be Saved. I'll post a link when it is published.

I've also managed to get control again of www.saveduckhole.com; .net; .org; and .info. I hope to use these websites in the future to promote the saving of Duck Hole. Anyone who would like to help with content and pictures please let me know. My plans are to use the .org as the main website with the others pointing to it. I plan on five pages including one for history; one for articles and links to articles; one for photos; one for how people can help (including a way for people to donate to the cause via: the NPTrail Chapter - a 501(c)(3) organization.

Duck Hole can be saved. Tom W.
That's AWESOME Tom! Your welcome to use any of my Duck Hole Shots :-)
http://garyfdean.tripod.com/id11.html

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #157
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpphoto View Post
It's a common misconception that "wild" when it comes to wilderness is intended to mean only "wild" from an environmental/ecological point of view. Wilderness Management is still a Natural Resource Management discipline, and, as with all management of our natural resources, we can't consider it to be sustainable unless it is sustainable socially and economically as well as ecologically. Just as timber managers have a responsibility to address the ecological and social impacts of their actions in addition to the economic considerations, wilderness managers have a responsibility to address the social and economic impacts of their actions. And that sometimes means managing historical artifacts in a manner that allows the public to continue to appreciate and learn from them, even if they are located in a wilderness area. For many, these artifacts are reminders of how life was much more difficult years ago when we had a lot more wilderness in America. If managed correctly, having the occasional reminder of our shared history and past culture can actually serve to make the experience even more "wild," despite the presence of human impact.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #158
TCD

Nicely stated, and I agree.

Unfortunately, with the flexibility to manage like this comes the risk of preferential treatment, lobbyist influence, etc. "My (fill in the blank) intrusion on wilderness is OK, but yours is not." Too much of that goes on.

Much of that could be addressed by recognizing that the routes and facilities we use in the wilderness are not, in themselves, wilderness, but merely routes to get there. So it's OK to have a solid, well marked trail or canoe carry route; a well protected climbing route; a conveniently located leanto. The wilderness is what's all around these things. And it's plenty big enough to accommodate them.

And I agree that even a dam can fit in nicely. (It has been interesting watching various authorities' agonized logic explaining why the dam at Lows should be maintained, but the dam at Duck Hole should be allowed to deteriorate.)

But I was privileged to camp many times at Duck Hole, and I am sure I will camp again at Duck Meadow, and it will be very nice.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #159
Sinite

I sure wish the dam would be repaired! It is a beautiful paddle!
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #160
DuctTape
Out of Shape

holy thread resurrection batman!

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote