Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #21
eArThworm

In Memoriam

Old home. New home. Rest in peace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KVE's.JPG (79.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg RockLake1.JPG (69.1 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg RockLake2.JPG (64.4 KB, 158 views)
eArThworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #22
scooch

Thank You Hawk, Kevin and Val....I can't wait to go and visit with her....
scooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:07 PM   #23
swampblaze

Have stayed with Kim 6 times in the last 2 years. She was a truly amazing and inspirational person. She will truly be missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to Taryn and Rachel.
swampblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #24
iledefrance
Hooked on hiking

In Kim's honor

My hiking partner and myself are doing a Long Trail thru-hike this summer. I would like to dedicate it to Kim's memory.
We stayed at Back-to-Basics on the night before our NTP thru-hike last summer and we were overwhelmed by her hospitality and kindness.
Maybe we should ask that the NTP be renamed after her? Or one of the lean-tos if renaming the NTP is too complicated. Any thoughts?
iledefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #25
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iledefrance
My hiking partner and myself are doing a Long Trail thru-hike this summer. I would like to dedicate it to Kim's memory.
We stayed at Back-to-Basics on the night before our NTP thru-hike last summer and we were overwhelmed by her hospitality and kindness.
Maybe we should ask that the NTP be renamed after her? Or one of the lean-tos if renaming the NTP is too complicated. Any thoughts?
Great idea, but it won't happen. Even getting a plaque or something on the trail is next to impossible.

I think we will see some events honored with her name, and other things are being done to carry on her Legacy. As I learn about them, I will post them here as well as on her website.

In the meantime, stop at Rock Lake and take a minute to honor her.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #26
swampblaze

I have a friend who is a NYS DEC Ranger, I'm going to inquire what would be required to get a leanto named or a plaque placed in someone honor!! I know that the Silver Lake Wilderness was one of Kims favorite places. Does anyone have imput as to which leanto?? Or would a plaque at Rock Lake be a better idea??

Last edited by swampblaze; 05-03-2006 at 08:56 PM..
swampblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #27
scooch

What a great idea....I have friends up in Ray Brook also, one inparticular who may have some personal inspiration with regard to honoring Kim on the NTP. Perhaps all of those who have been fortunate enough to experience Kim's fondness of NTP hikers should submit a written request. I will make a call on Monday morning to see if we can get the ball rolling, get an address, etc.....will keep everyone posted.....
Old 05-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #28
scooch

with special regard for "the guy"...

Padlocks and Posted signs will never satisfy your egotistical sense of entitlement (real or imagined) to Poverty Ridge...
What you once enjoyed there, and wrecklessly, carelessly, and violently chased away from you, is no longer availale to you....
Unfortunate that you are one of those who can not appreciate or see a miracle when it is standing right in front of you....
I do believe that even in "your" dark heart, you fear the same retribution that most God fearing people do and you well should my friend.......because you have many.....many......many......sins to pay for.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #29
redhawk

Lets keep "the guy" stuff out of here. This thread is a tribute to Kim and should be a positive thing to honor her.

the other will take care of itself.

Please!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 05-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #30
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooch
What a great idea....I have friends up in Ray Brook also, one inparticular who may have some personal inspiration with regard to honoring Kim on the NTP. Perhaps all of those who have been fortunate enough to experience Kim's fondness of NTP hikers should submit a written request. I will make a call on Monday morning to see if we can get the ball rolling, get an address, etc.....will keep everyone posted.....
My guess would be a plaque at Rock Lake. I'm thinking of creating something that can be put in the cover of the journals at the Silver lake and mud lake lean-tos to honor her.

I'll have to find out who is caring for those lean-to's to get permission. Does anyone know who?
Old 05-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #31
Kevin
**BANNED**

Contact the ADK club, they organize most of the lean-to adoptions.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #32
scooch

One million apologies to anyone that may have been offended regarding my earlier post...

Although I believe it pales in comparisson to an earlier posting.

I did (perhaps too briefly) hope that my words would not be considered offensive or inappropriate.

Although I am not one of the "many" who are "hot" or "after" this guy...I do hope that justice prevails... and that the many of us who have a mutual respect for Kim's philosophy and way of life, share a commitment to protecting it.

and to the end that "the other will take care of itself"....well spoken...

again....my sincerest and most humble apology.....
Old 05-07-2006, 01:05 AM   #33
Boreal Chickadee

Interesting that lean-tos are so popular for adoption that if you want to adopt one you cannot call before 9 am May 24th. Last year all adotable lean-tos were gone in two hours.

I'm sending you a pm with name, phone numbe rand email of the person to contact.

edit: corrected lean-to confusion (mine)

Last edited by Boreal Chickadee; 05-07-2006 at 08:55 AM..
Boreal Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #34
Dick
somewhere out there...

Some people we know just recently adoped Pharaoh #5, a switch from their original one. In other words, things change, and it might be worth a call to find out.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #35
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Butter
Rock Lake is not listed in either the adopted list or the available lean-to list. could it possible go by another name? Or it may not be a lean-to approved for adoption by the DEC (that guideline mentioned in the article).
There's no lean-to at Rock Lake... Redhawk wants to put a plaque there, but have journals modified at a few of the lean-tos on the NPT.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #36
Boreal Chickadee

thanks Kevin! that's what I get for reading the maggazine as nighttime go to sleep material and posting from memory at 1 in the morning. Should have waited til morning when the old noggin was clearer.

edited the other post to avoid confusion
Old 05-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #37
scooch

Kim was a writer and has many journals, poems, thoughts, regarding her love of the wilderness. I am not sure who has them, I would guess Mom and Dad, perhaps they could offer something....something to think about, also there is a picture of Kim, Rachel and Taryn ( a black and white), while at Taylor Pond....It's just beautiful and was her favorite picture...You can find it at her website.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #38
RayJan

Hi

Yes we have Kim's poems / stories / Journals and laptop - I am planning in the near future of putting it all together with her pictures as many folks have requested them and they are beutiful with a tremendous messages in them - I recall right after her hike of the Northville / Placid that I had tried to encourage her to write a book containing her poetry / experiences / people etc - her talent had been evident to me for awhile and even her journals and newsletters (in her WEB Site) are profound - however I am just a little biased
RayJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #39
scooch

Her words are inspiring...and speak to everyone.
Her writing often eludes to the importance of personal growth, perseverance, and the amazing things to be learned if you are willing to take an honest look in the mirror. She was an amazing person......and so kind.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #40
scooch

does anyone out there have Kim's recipe for cream puffs and eclairs..........? Beth?
Please....