Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Little Rainbow Pond?

Anybody been there?
It looks like a not too far jaunt from the corner of Hoel to some maybe navigable water leading to Little Rainbow.
Or maybe the other way, from Rat Pond?
I might be up and about around there soonly, with some time to kill...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Okaaaaay...76 views, no comments.
I'll take that as a no, no one has been there.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
Crash

Rat Pond to Little Rainbow Pond

I walked over to Little Rainbow Pond, along the railroad tracks, from the Rat Pond area in Mid-July 2017. Little Rainbow Pond outlet is dammed by beaver, almost flooding the railroad tracks. The second photo is near the outlet. The third photo is near the center of the pond looking across the pond. The couple of rock ledges on the far shore look interesting but I did not have a chance to bushwhack there.

There is a small network of dirt roads between Rat Pond and Little Clear - a few designated campsites too. By the way, the far side of Rat Pond has a nice rock ledge to swim from. I think I remember seeing a non-designated campsite there. To get to the Rat Pond rock ledge, walk along the tracks. Then look for a faint footpath along the far shore of Rat Pond, crossing the low marshy area on a small raised ridge along the shoreline. The last photo shows the Rat Pond swim spot - deep water off the rock ledge. The opposite shore in this photo is where the railroad tracks are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5519_resize.JPG (140.3 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5523_resize.JPG (140.8 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5532_resize.JPG (141.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5538_resize.JPG (130.4 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by Crash; 04-17-2019 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: corrected directions
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:56 AM   #4
Rich Lockwood

These pictures make me think of an idea I had years ago. If one had a canoe cart that fit RR tracks you could easily carry to a lot of paddling. I had a cart that had a through axle shaft and I was going to temporarily replace it with a longer shaft an some plastic wheel rims with one side rim cut off. never made one though. Anybody ever try it?
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Crash
Thanks for the info and the pics. It’s now on “ the list”
And thanks to all those beavers that increase my paddling opportunities!!
Pretty sure none of those beavers are on this forum, but maybe they’ll somehow get the message!

Rick
I’ve often thought of some sort of dedicated rail cart, but I guess that’s still in the dream stage

Last edited by stripperguy; 04-19-2019 at 06:04 PM..
Old 04-19-2019, 12:19 AM   #6
rickhart

I was under the impression that most of the shore of that northeast corner of Hoel, including the start of the Little Rainbow outlet, is private property.
Also I seem to remember a thread about the feasibility of carrying along the tracks from Hoel to Rat, but I can't remember what was said (and am too lazy to look).
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #7
Woodly

Do those rails ever carry a train now?
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Do those rails ever carry a train now?
I don't know about west of Saranac Lake, but between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid, the lack of maintenance over the past few years has been noticeable. Trees have come down in a couple of places and not been cleared (at least not to the standards that would allow a train through; the snowmobile clubs have done some maintenance). It's also pretty obvious that they haven't done much to keep encroaching vegetation away from the tracks, either.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
Woodly

Those railroad ties look pretty whipped also, even for a train that just barely chugs along.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhart View Post
I was under the impression that most of the shore of that northeast corner of Hoel, including the start of the Little Rainbow outlet, is private property.
Also I seem to remember a thread about the feasibility of carrying along the tracks from Hoel to Rat, but I can't remember what was said (and am too lazy to look).
From the best maps that I have, it seems that nearly all of the northern shore in that corner is public land. Even so, I think access via Rat Pond would be the better route...
Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #11
58rover

be carefull on tracks, they run those pedal carts on them in this area. I've been on Rat but never Rainbow. The back bay of Hoel is all private I think.
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:53 AM   #12
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I could be wrong, but I don't think they've run the pedal carts since the Saranac Lake/Lake Placid scenic railroad was shut down. The company website makes no mention of the Adirondacks, and the Yelp page for Adirondack Rail Explorers lists the company as "closed."
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote