Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
aborsari

Indian Lake vs Blue Mountain Lake

Hello!
First post, wooo. I have never been to the Adirondacks before and I am very excited to say that I will be heading up from Philadelphia the first week of September. I will be staying at either Indian Lake or Blue Mountain Lake and I am wondering about the difference in Lakes via a fishing standpoint. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I will have a small boat with a 25hp outboard. Thank you!!
aborsari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
webby459

It may depend on where you have or will procure lodging. And caveat, I'm not a very good angler. That said, short answer is that I'd vastly prefer Blue Mountain Lake to Indian lake.

BML has more of a wilderness feel, especially when you factor in the couple other lakes you can link in to the South via the channels. And from (maybe somewhat limited) experience there is less and slower boat traffic on BML than Indian.

I did catch a decent small mouth bass on BML, trolling from a smaller boat like yours, other hand I spent some time shore fishing from one of the island sites on Indian and got skunked. If I were going up just to fish I'd bring enough gear to be flexible, start on BML and then maybe talk to some of the locals to find a better spot. I've done better fishing on the side of Abanakee north of 28 than I have in the other two, but I think that's hand launch and no power boats only.
webby459 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
Wldrns

I can't advise you on fishing opportunities, but I can advise you that the annual 3-day (6-8 Sep) 90 mile canoe race will pass through the lakes, finishing the first day on the beach at BML. It will not affect anyone camping or fishing in the area, but can be a great event to witness if you are in the area. Just don't get in the way with racing boats coming through the access channel from Eagle Lake into BML. (and curb your motorboat wake please)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
webby459

to quote Wldrns: "and curb your motorboat wake please"

+1. My host/captain navigating through that section had the boat in gear/at idle 1/3 of the time and idling in neutral 2/3 of the time, basically moving at a slow walking pace. Extreme slowness and care are well warranted in the narrow sections between the lakes in motor boats. If we make it for the 5th(?) consecutive time to the area Labor Day weekend, we'll be there the week prior to the race.

I should really get out there with the canoe someday soon.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #5
Lucky13

If I am wrong, someone will correct me, but the only public launch on BML is a car topper. I would have to assume there is a fee launch somewhere on the lake where residents can get boats in and out, but do not know where it is. So if you are renting make sure the spot will accommodate a 25 horse (that's hardly "small" in the mountains) coming off a trailer.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
webby459

Good point Lucky, I think you are right. When I went out on the boat last Sept with my friend, he launched at the launch ramp owned by Curry's Cabins. My friend owns a camp locally and knows Mr. Curry, so maybe it was a neighborly special to launch without renting a cabin, but otoh there was some money that changed hands. OP should give Curry's a call to check, I know there's also at least one other small marina with a launch close by, I don't know the name.

Curry's launch is not very wide, certainly not as wide as the state launches I've seen. Enough to get my friend's small boat in though, small single axle trailer, the boat iirc was around 25 horse, I'm estimating 14-16 foot bowrider looking thing but with a fishing deck. Gives you an idea of what we were able to launch with not much trouble.

OP should make sure the boat is clean, seems like the people in BML are serious about keeping invasives out. The launch at Indian Lake down by Lewey is state-run and a lot bigger, with more parking available as well. When I was there 2 years ago there was a DEC person offering boat washes to get rid of traveling critters.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #7
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Blue Mtn Lake has 1200 acres and access to Eagle Lake and others. There is a small marina with rental boats available and a launch but it is not cheap. Get a map of the Lake as there are hidden islands which can ruin an outdrive. Big LL salmon and lake trout and smallmouth available. There are two giant springs which feed the lake 100 feet down. In September you can catch the big ones by dropping a large chub or sucker down 75 feet. There is a big rock good for jumping off into the water. Blue Mtn Lake had the claim once of having the purest water in the country. Lake water is filtered and pumped into cottages. A couple of the islands have snakes so be careful. I would say the fishing was good.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #8
IndLk_Brett

Considering my username I probably ought to say Indian Lake in answer to the OP's question, but I just can't do it. I love the BML area and all the connected or accessible water too much.

I totally agree with webby that it has more of a wilderness feel. And I happen to be a total sucker for a wilderness feel.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the heck out of Indian Lk as well, but on an average day, with all things being equal, I'm taking the drive down 28 with the knowledge that it will be a great day regardless of whether the fish are biting or not.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 05-25-2019 at 01:49 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote