Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Judge Rules for Landowners In Paddling Case

Saw this today & just passing it along...

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...-paddling-case
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
dundee

It's a shame that this didn't become Forest Preserve years ago when there was a chance. It was bought by the Nature Conservancy, who offered it to NYS, but the state didn't have the money (or so they claim) and it was re-sold to Friends of Thayer Lake.

I've read that only in the ADK Park can a navigable waterway can be closed due to private property. Other properties in NY and the other 12 original colonies can be crossed legally, but the rich landowners in the Park had the law changed just for them. I think I was reading a book/article by Paul Jameson. I will have to find that article and double-check this.

I've also read that there is no title to running water. If one were to cross private property to get to a stream, then that would be considered trespassing, but to start on public water and enter private property w/o touching land may be another matter. I've never been to Shingle Shanty, so I can't say what's there. I wonder if this point was brought up?
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

In PA, a certain private property has no trespassing signs on a wire spanning a famous trout stream near Ligoneer. Of course it's owned by Mellon. A prime example of the Golden Rule. He who has the gold makes the rules.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #4
madison

The judge reversed his own ruling. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the money and influence of the rich landowners.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Bob K

Traverse ruling reasonable after being there

The recent ruling is disappointing but not unreasonable for this specific passage in my opinion. I did the LTL to Lila traverse in August 2017, including the disputed section of Shingle Shanty Brook downstream of Mud pond. There is a section of rapids and a footbridge (visible in Google Earth) over the brook by a building located on the private property. A primitive road approaches the brook from the South (all private property). The “portage trail” is perhaps 50-100 yards long, first crossing the rd and then in the trees where you lose sight of the brook for a bit.

As I passed thru, I did have a sense that I was disturbing someone else’s space – even though I saw no one. I had envisioned lining or carrying along the bank to skirt the rapids. There appears to be no way to remain in your boat to traverse this stretch, so referring to it as a “paddle” is not fully accurate.

I have also walked the .8 mile official portage trail and while it has become a bit overgrown, it is not a bad walk – no worse than other required carries on the traverse.

I originally contributed to Phil’s defense fund and continue to feel good that I did. However, since experiencing the area first hand, I have mixed feelings. Given the available portage trail on public land nearby, I do not think that forcing the landowner to allow passage for this specific section is a right that NY paddlers need to have. Anyone committed to this traverse can handle the .8 mile carry and recreation in that area is not being prevented.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

I could be wrong, but something tells me this isn't the end of it.
So 'the state' (DEC & AG) are now partly responsible for plaintiff's legal costs?
Old 02-21-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
WaterRings

Wahoo!!

I applaud the recent ruling. The rights of the landowner where finally upheld. It's too bad there wasn't a trial at the Supreme Court in the first place - all the appeals and all the money spent on lawyers might have been avoided. I guess we will wait and see if Brown etal. appeal. This case has been argued and discussed at length in another earlier thread so I will not expound further here.

WaterRings
WaterRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #8
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
So 'the state' (DEC & AG) are now partly responsible for plaintiff's legal costs?
Yes, that sometimes happens. I remember a case in the 90's where the state had to pay legal fees in the case of a "disabled" man who was using motor vehicles on state land.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
snapper
snapper

Did anyone notice DEC's take on things. There was a link on an "Adirondack Explorer" page that said DEC is sticking with their thoughts on the legality of passing through the Brandeth property. It will be interesting to see where this leads; although to my way of thinking, regardless of your own personal stance, this should be over and done. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

PS - Here's the link: https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/e...addling-rights
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
dundee

The state could always *BUY* that corner of the property!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #11
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
The state could always *BUY* that corner of the property!
Only if the seller is willing to sell for what the state would consider "fair market value" (otherwise it would be a 'taking' and NYS would have hard time justifying eminent domain)

Wasn't there a 'roadblock' when TNC held the land? IIRC, something to do with Brendreth's exclusive recreational rights (which TNC didn't acquire and the family didn't want to give up)
Old 02-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #12
dundee

Yes, a willing seller. IDK about rec rights, but I do remember NY didn't have the money to buy from TNC. IIRC, TNC bought the property from Brandreth, NY couldn't/wouldn't buy it and TNC then sold to Friends of Thayer Lake.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #13
WaterRings

Because the Supreme Court in NYS is the States lowest court rulings at that level carry the lowest weight when cited in other cases. Rulings from the Appellate Division or Court of Appeals are better and that may be the reason the DEC is not changing their policy. We will have to wait to see if it is appealed.
WaterRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:43 PM   #14
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Surprise! (not)
It's not over...
https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...appeal-process

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Curiouser and curiouser:
"He was accused by the landowners of trespassing, though the ruling against him made no such finding"

"...awarded them some legal costs.
Caffry said those total some $2,538."