Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 PM   #121
Boreal Chickadee

Beautiful.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #122
loonlover

...after reading some of this thread..I am very inspired to be more gentle and walk ( and talk) more softly....I didn't know this beautiful woman, Kim...but I feel very touched by her today...
loonlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #123
loonlover

.....and yesterday I found a dime.
loonlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #124
Tall Tom
NPT Fanatic

Remembering Kim

I'm a little late in posting to this thread but just found it as I was preparing to add a remembrance of Kim to a section of www.nptrail.org. Kim touched my life in the middle of her battle with cancer in October, 2005, as she and a friend gave me a lift back to Lake Placid from Upper Benson after my 2005 thru-hike. I've posted a link to this thread as well as comments at http://www.nptrail.org/HikePlanning.html#Kim_VanEvera.
Tall Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #125
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I think a moment of silence/thought would be appropriate... for all of our friends, family, and buddies...Lord knows we don't post all of our loses here, but we know of some and wish we could express our condolences for all of the others who remain silent... I have a few in mind.,,, but can't remember the dates... we all remember our own losses....remember the good times..

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #126
Daughter#1

It may be late to post on this thread, but you have all made me smile by reading these. Those who hadn't had the chance to meet my mother, I wish you had. She was a wonderful woman and I miss he so much. I wish I could see the happy faces of the campers at Back to Basics again, like I remember from when I was ten. I read that there was supposed to be a cookbook in memory of our mother but we never were able to do it, at least me and my sister weren't. The Yurts are in our possession but we only have one set up and it will never be like how our mother had it set up. The "tradition" of signing the porch ended with mom's passing and has been basically tore down...Nothing will be as it was...we were too young to understand anything and everything was out of our father's reach...Thank you for all who cared. It will be seven years this coming April. It's hard to believe. Thank you for your support.
Daughter#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #127
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Wow - normally when we see old threads resurrected, we wonder what lead to something old being re-visited..but this one is very different, and very special - thank you for posting, and welcome here.

Do you have any plans for the yurts? I may have an idea for you if not...

What about the cookbook? Perhaps a collective effort would make short work of the task...

All the best to you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughter#1 View Post
It may be late to post on this thread, but you have all made me smile by reading these. Those who hadn't had the chance to meet my mother, I wish you had. She was a wonderful woman and I miss he so much. I wish I could see the happy faces of the campers at Back to Basics again, like I remember from when I was ten. I read that there was supposed to be a cookbook in memory of our mother but we never were able to do it, at least me and my sister weren't. The Yurts are in our possession but we only have one set up and it will never be like how our mother had it set up. The "tradition" of signing the porch ended with mom's passing and has been basically tore down...Nothing will be as it was...we were too young to understand anything and everything was out of our father's reach...Thank you for all who cared. It will be seven years this coming April. It's hard to believe. Thank you for your support.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #128
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Taryn?? So glad to hear from you. How is Rachel? Just last year I visited with your Mom at Rock Lake when Judge H, Steve and I did the Benson leg of the NPT. We camped the first night at Rock Lake and I sat down by the shore. I could feel your Moms spirit and before long I think I will be walking with her again, in another, better place.
I was flabbergasted to see this thread in the "new posts" and what a wonderful although bittersweet surprise! I had to gather myself for a while before I could respond.
I've often thought of your Mom and whenever peoples spirits need a lift I tell them about your Mom's selflessness courage and grace. In my 71 years on this earth I have never met anyone who inspired me as much.

Your Mom had a love for people and of course she loved you kids with all her heart. I wish that everyone cold have met her, and seen what a selfless determined person could do. To this day I am sorry that I met her so late in ly life and they we were only able to walk together for a very short time. My biggest regret is that I was unable to hike the Appalaichian Trail with her at the end. I do intend to hike it end to end as a tribute to her.

Contact me via PM, or your Granddad probably has my email. If the yurt is assembled perhaps we can get some old friends together and have a gatheing and see you and your sister.. It's not too late to get that cookbook together. Might even get the ADK High peaks foundation to use it as a fund raiser. I ca smell your Mom's chicken now.

Keep in touch, there are many here who loved your Mom, especially me.

Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daughter#1 View Post
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #129
Daughter#1

Sorry to bring back old threads but I wanted to let you know and I will work hard with my sister to get that cookbook put together. I would love to work with you guys on ideas for the yurts. We have had to repair all of the domes because they were all broken but we have a little one set up. Pm me and i'll share my personal email. Hawk I would love to talk to you again
Daughter#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #130
Trippadoo
Flat Coat Retrievers Rule!!!

Where does the time go.

Time is funny. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, but never stops. Memories fade. Sooner or later, we are all forgotten, or nearly. Until those memories are sparked by a lost dime, a dime that brings back memories.............
Trippadoo is offline   Reply With Quote