Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
Lowflyingbird

Hornbeck Sable kayak

Hi,
I restore kayaks, it's become more of a hobby/passion than side job. In the years doing so I have owned well over a hundred boats. I now only pick up exotic or rare models. Recently I obtained a kayak in the Adirondack area. With the exception of a single post on this forum it is a ghost. The boat is a Hornbeck Sable 18'6" carbon fiber/Kevlar. Hornbeck took a shot at the kayak market in about 2005 from what I've found. I was wondering if anyone ever even came across one of these before.

As for the one I got, It's getting a lot of work incl. an outer hull to deck seam to replace the tape, a new custom carbon/fiberglass seat, rear cockpit bulkhead, new hatches, rudder and foot controls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hornbeck Sable (1)1.jpg (50.9 KB, 147 views)
Lowflyingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Wldrns

I believe I saw that boat at Pete's when I bought my Hornbeck canoe in that same year. Not being a kayaker, I had no other than passing interest in Pete's new projects at the time. He tried many new design projects in that time period.

Last edited by Wldrns; 01-05-2019 at 05:32 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
Lowflyingbird

I think that they realized kayak building is much more work than canoe building, making canoes a much better business choice. Canoes are also better in my opinion for the adk geography. I would not be surprised if they kept the hull mold to make their 18'21" wide canoes?
Old 01-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Buckladd

I remember seeing a kayak in his shop over a decade ago, but I think it was a shorter model.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

There is a Hornbeck kayak on Cranberry out of Wanakena.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
Lowflyingbird

shorter model

That is a 16.6' Solar.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #7
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

A friend here in the Buffalo area has one (a Hornbeck CF sea kayak). To save weight, he ordered it without hatches or bulkheads, but added float bags when I told him it would sink like the Titanic if it capsized.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
Lowflyingbird

18' model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
A friend here in the Buffalo area has one (a Hornbeck CF sea kayak). To save weight, he ordered it without hatches or bulkheads, but added float bags when I told him it would sink like the Titanic if it capsized.
Do you think you could ask your friend to take a couple pictures of his Hornbeck and post them here?